Salaam Ale Kum! Welcome to our presentation on this CAREER day at our University. We will lay bare all the progress of the program and what we achieved so far.
Some of the many activities involved in logistics include: Customer Service /Transportation /Purchasing /Warehousing/ Materials Handling / Strategic Planning / Inventory Control /Forecasting / The Definition of Logistics Logistics is that part of the supply chain process that plans, implements, and controls the efficient, effective forward and reverse flow and storage of goods, services, and related information between the point of origin and the point of consumption in order to meet customers' requirements.
The Definition of Supply Chain Management Su pply Chain Management is the systemic , strategic coordination of the traditional business functions and the tactics across these business functions within a particular company and across businesses within the supply chain for the purposes of improving the long-term performance of the individual companies and the supply chain as a whole. The supply chain of a manufacturing enterprise is a world-wide network of suppliers, factories, warehouses, distribution centres and retailers through which raw materials are acquired, transformed and delivered to customers. In order to optimize performance, supply chain functions must operate in a coordinated manner. But the dynamics of the enterprise and the market make this difficult: bank rates change overnignt, political situations change, materials do not arrive on time, production facilities fail, workers are ill, customers change or cancel orders, etc. causing deviations from plan. In some cases, these events may be dealt with locally, i.e. they lie within the scope of a supply chain function. In other cases, the problem can not be &quot;locally contained&quot; and modifications across many functions are required. Consequently, the supply chain management system must coordinate the revision of plans/schedules across supply chain functions. The agility with which the supply chain is managed at the tactical and operational levels in order to enable timely dissemination of information, accurate coordination of decisions and management of actions among people and systems, is what will ultimately determine the efficient, coordinated achievement of enterprise goals
IBM, General Motors and Proctor & Gamble spend more than US$ 1.4 trillion on logistics Food that you eat today comes from different sources – thanks to Logistics for enabling us to survive. Goods are manufactured in different countries – but it is only Logistics that brings it together. Relief organizations – RED CROSS – and others move food, drug and supplies to disaster stricken parts of the world at moment’s notice.
Are you one of these talented person who can contribute after your training and education in Transportation and Logistics?
A well educated and trained Transportation and Logistics professional can start on a salary of Dhs 8000 (US$ 2500 p.m.) to Dhs. 12, 0000 (US$3200). Position types include – First Level Management ( US$ 30,000 or Dhs.110,000 to US$ 80,000 or Dhs 290,000 per year) First level management / Supervision Analyst (Freight Rate Specialist) Customer Service Manager Transportation Coordinator Warehouse Outbound Operations Manager Middle Management ( US$ 40,000 or Dhs145,000 to US$ 111,000 or Dhs 400,000 per year) International Logistics Manager Inventory Planning & Control Manager Transportation Manager Warehouse Operations Manager EXECUTIVE LEVEL (US$ 85,000 or Dhs 300,000 per year to US$ 275,000 or Dhs.1 million +) Director of Logistics Vice President of Logistics SOURCE: 1997 Logistics and Supply Chain Management Compensation Survey Results prepared by William M. Mercer Inc.
International network of global institutions dedicated to developing curriculum in Logistics and SCM – Educational Alliances supported and endorsed by software companies like SAP, BAAN, JD Edwards, Oracle and Microsoft Great Plains and ACCPAC
In UAE today, the companies in Free Zones are banding together to provide support for young graduates who prefer to specialize in Logistics. More details of internship in UAE or abroad from the educational consultant – Philbhert N Suresh POB 87716 Dubai, UAE Mobile: 050-768 1394
Thanks to everyone present here – who I believe will don the responsibilities of next generation of UAE logistics professionals in positions of leadership in this country. Thanks to Mr Ibrahim Y, Al Tamimi, Operations and Logistics Manager, EMARAT for supporting professional development in Logistics & SCM. And to stay tuned to the developments and trends of this industry, all of you are welcome to join SCLA ( Supply Chain Logistics Association)– now being formed by 100 plus companies in the Jebel Ali Free Zone and others in different parts of the Emirates to join soon. A special privileged class of student membership is included at Dhs 200 per annum. More information and other details of training program, please contact Dr Deborah Salimi and myself.
1. Essentials of Logistics and Supply Chain Management Emarat Logistics Workshop July 5, 2003 6, Jumada I, 1424H Welcome To The Age of Specialization
2. Logistics is hailed as the hot career <ul><li>Logistics – is the specialized part of a business curriculum relating to Physical Distribution and Marketing. Nevertheless, today the discipline is embraced by all traditional corporate functions such as Production </li></ul><ul><li>( Procurement), Finance ( Activity-Based Costing)etc </li></ul>
3. What is logistics? Logistics is the universal thread or “pipeline” that plans and coordinates the delivery of products and services to customers all over the world.
4. What is Supply Chain Management?
5. How Important Is Logistics? <ul><li>Logistics has a huge impact on the domestic and global economy. </li></ul><ul><li>Logistics is of critical importance to human survival. </li></ul><ul><li>Logistics greatly impacts our quality of life. </li></ul><ul><li>Logistics affects our success in a wide variety of endeavours. </li></ul>
6. <ul><li>Logistics has evolved into a profession that values </li></ul><ul><li>Strategic thinking </li></ul><ul><li>Analytical skills </li></ul><ul><li>Use of technology based-tools </li></ul><ul><li>This is a fertile ground for talented individuals. </li></ul>
7. Career Path in Logistics Sales Terminal Operations Director Or National Account Representative Terminal Supervision Terminal Management
8. Career Path in Logistics Logistics Engineer Business Development Director Or Operations Site Manager Logistics Analyst Project Manager
9. Career Path in Logistics Materials Coordinator Corporate Logistics Management Or Corporate Materials Management Distribution Centre Management Production Management
10. What skills do logistics managers need? <ul><li>Logistics manager works with people, processes, and information. </li></ul><ul><li>People Skills </li></ul><ul><li>Analytical Skills </li></ul><ul><li>Communication Skills </li></ul><ul><li>Computer Skills </li></ul><ul><li>Flexibility </li></ul>
11. Highest Paid – Professionals Only! <ul><li>“ Of all major sectors of our economy, transportation and logistics offer the highest paid jobs in the nation.” – Rodney Slater, U S Secretary of Transportation </li></ul>
12. Mission Statement of Logistics MISSION To provide the highest quality of professional training which will allow participants a direct entry into a career stream of Transportation and Logistics industry in the United Arab Emirates .
13. Goals - Logistics Training Program <ul><li>To provide a balanced Transportation and Logistics education with a supply chain management focus that integrates theory and practice. </li></ul><ul><li> To provide the context for the fullest development of the decisional, leadership , interpersonal, communication and administrative skills of each student. </li></ul><ul><li> </li></ul>
14. Logistics & Supply Chain Management Networks and Alliances <ul><li>From e-Commerce to e-Logistics , it is a fact of a well-developed supply chain management linkages </li></ul><ul><li> Learn about virtual linkages of nodes and networks in transportation. Effected by strategic alliances to your target market. Knowledge and skills are accessed through a revised and simplified curriculum of the program. </li></ul>
15. What kinds of organizations employ logistics managers?
16. Plan of Action - Logistics <ul><li>Enrol in short term workshops / seminars developed by TransLogistique Canada </li></ul><ul><li>Register for a formal certification in Logistics through Emarat Logistics. </li></ul><ul><li>Become a member of CLM, USA at www.clm1.org </li></ul>
17. Thank you – Masalaama! For your attention and time Logistics is the hottest career out there . Talk to a logistics professional Get counseling through Emarat Logistics Operations And see what all the excitement is about . Philbhert N Suresh Educational Consultant [email_address] Mobile: 050-768 1394