1. ENGL 1231 Writing Seminar Emotions, An AnnotatedBibliography and Essay
2. Introduction• Welcome• Traci Welch Moritz, email@example.com• Feel free to visit or email• Librarians on duty 8-4, 6-9 Mon – Thurs, 8-4 Friday and 10-3:30 on Sundays• IM and Chat Reference available certain times
3. Libraries at ONU•Taggert Law • Heterick Memorial LibraryLibrary•Library for Law • Undergraduateschool, accessible Library, accessibleto all to all
4. What we’ll do today • How to use library resources to do research • How to construct an annotated bibliography
5. Annotated Bibliography• Allows you to see what is out there• Helps you narrow your topic and discard any irrelevant materials• Aids in developing the thesis• Makes you a better scholar
6. Definition Essay• Some say to “write a successful definition essay you must share all the knowledge you have obtained on the subject.”• How do you find all this information?• Research!• Barker, Cheryll. "A Brief Guide to Writing Definition Essays." The Online Writing Lab (OWL). Roane State Community College, n.d. Web. 20 Apr 2011. <http://www.roanestate.edu/owl/Definition.html>.
7. Research Guides
8. Research Guides
9. Research Tools ∞ InternetGoogle and Wikipedia aren’t evil, just use them for the correct purpose in your research.
10. Research ToolsNote: If Google Scholarworking off ONU buyscampus user Full-textsees only database Google asks to link tocitation to contentarticles not OhioLINKfull text. See Permits Google to Run GoogleResearch link to full-text ScholarGuide for info Searchon how to setup off campus ONU user seesaccess. licensed full-text articles
11. Research Tools• Does the information located satisfy the research need?• Is the information factual and unbiased?• See handout “Critically Analyzing Information Sources” under the “Handouts” tab at the Research Guide.
12. FIND A BOOK∞POLAR
13. • Materials owned by all Ohio colleges, universities, several public libraries
14. How to conduct research USE DATABASES 2 FIND ARTICLES
15. • Often tools for locating journal and newspaper articles• Most are subject-specific – some multi-disciplinary• Many give access to full text of articles• Heterick has 250+
16. Find an Article• Over thousands of journals indexed, most are full text• Divided by subject area offered at ONU• Begin with a general database, Academic Search Complete
17. Find an Article• Click on “Periodical Articles”
18. Find an Article
19. • Academic Search Complete
20. Find an Article You can choose to limit by date by sliding the date bar.
21. Find an Article You can choose to narrow by an additional subject, geographic location or type of publication.
22. Find an Article Click on the pdf or hmtl link to bring up the full text of the article.
23. Find an Article No html or pdf link? Always click on the “FIND IT” button to find out where else you can find the article!
24. Find an Article• Could be available through another database
25. Find an Article• It could be available in print• It could not be available through the library which would necessitate an ILL request
26. Interlibrary Loan (ILL)• Use when you need a book or article that is not available online, not owned by ONU or available via OhioLINK• No charge/ limit on requests• Most requests take 5-7 days to fill• Use ILL form on library web pages.
27. InterLibrary LoanFill in theblanks
28. How to keep track of articles
29. Bibliographic Citation Software
30. Saving, Printing, Exporting
31. Managing Information - RefWorks • Licensed state-wide, access free to Ohio students for the rest of your life! • See “RefWorks” tab at Research Guide • Excellent Tutorials • Help available at Heterick