4758987Music Video Analysis - Gender Roles
Song Title: _lollipop_____________________________________
Artist: _Framing Hanley_____________________________________
Directions: As you closely watch the music video, answer the following questions with
as much detail as possible.
1. What are the men/women doing? (Dancing, sitting, swimming, etc.)
The women are playing strip poker, and then one of the women goes into a swimming
pool. This is all based at a house party then it switches to a shot of the band.
2. How are the men/women dressed? How much skin is revealed?
The women are dressed in underwear and the men are dressed the same, this represents
the sexuality of the male and female roles.
3. Are there more, fewer, or the same number of men as women?
There are more women than men, and they hover around the men, to represent there
4. Describe the body language of the men/women: are they, gyrating,
thw women are dancing around the men at the house party, however when they are
playing poker the seductively undress themselves, the men’s body language is very
relaxed and chilled throughout the video.
5. Do the men/women have power? How do you know?
The men have the power over the women because they are more dominant and
controlling and using the women for sex. However you could argue that the women have
the power over the men because they are using their sexuality to control them.
6. What’s the message of the song?
The message is that women should be available for men to use when they want to, and
that men are the more
Men demand sex from women and the women don’t protest against it, and the women
are objectified from the men. For example one of the lyrics is ‘won’t you get on your
7. What type of music is the song?