What is a What Do Recent Home Buyers and The Code of Ethics: REALTOR® Designations —
Sellers Say About REALTORS®? A Commitment to the Public The Mark of Expertise and Service
REALTOR® and why The 2009 NAR Profile of Home Buyers and Sellers provides The Code of Ethics of the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF The NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS® has a
variety of affiliates that provide designations acknowledging
should I use one? research results on the experiences home buyers and sellers REALTORS® is the promise to the public that when dealing
experience and expertise in various real estate sectors.
had when purchasing or selling their home. The majority with a real estate agent that is a REALTOR®, they can
NAR also offers designations and certification programs
Only real estate professionals who are members of the of the respondents used a REALTOR® (a member of the expect honest and ethical treatment in all transaction- to its members, including:
NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS®). Here’s what related matters. Only REALTORS® pledge to abide by the ABR® – REBAC (Real Estate BUYER’S
they had to say: Association’s Code of Ethics and only REALTORS® are AGENT Council) awards the ABR® (Accredited Buyer
NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS® (NAR) can call
held accountable for their ethical behavior. Representative) designation to REALTORS® who meet
education and experience requirements to better prepare
themselves REALTORS®. All REALTORS® adhere to NAR’s
Home Sellers them to represent buyers.
Some of the basic principles of the Code of Ethics include:
• Sellers reported that an agent’s reputation was the CIPS – Focused specifically in aspects “international,”
• Protect and promote your client’s interests, these REALTORS® have a familiarity with assisting foreign
most important factor in their selection process.
strict Code of Ethics, which is based on professionalism and but be honest with all parties. investors, helping local buyers invests abroad, or serving
• Nearly three-fifths of sellers report that they would
• Avoid exaggeration, misrepresentation, and an immigrant buyer locally; designees are the best
“definitely” use the same real estate agent again.
protection of the public. That’s why all real estate licensees resource in international real estate.
• The top four home seller expectations of real estate concealment of pertinent facts. Do not reveal
GRI – A REALTOR® with the Graduate REALTOR®
agents are: 1) price my home competitively (22%); facts that are confidential under the scope of
Institute (GRI) designation is trained in many areas, including
are NOT the same. 2) find a buyer for my home (21%); your agency relationship. legal and regulatory issues, professional standards, the sales
3) sell my home within a specific timeframe (19%); • Disclose present or contemplated interest in any process and technology. A minimum of 90 hours of training
Dedicated to serving America’s property owners at both 4) help market my home to a potential buyer (19%). property to all parties. is required to achieve the GRI designation.
e-PRO® – e-PRO® certification indicates that a
• Avoid side deals without your client’s informed
REALTOR® has been trained on Internet business principles
local and national levels, the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF Home Buyers consent.
and the technologies required throughout the real estate
• Accept compensation from only one party, except transaction.
• 88% of buyers would probably or definitely use
with full disclosure and informed consent. SRES® – Seniors Real Estate Specialists. When
REALTORS®, The Voice for Real Estate®, is the largest their real estate agent again.
• Keep the funds of clients and customers in escrow. looking for a real estate professional that will respond
• The benefit most buyers say they receive from their to your specific, 50+ real estate needs, look for a Seniors
agent is help understanding the process. • Assure, whenever possible, that transactional details
professional association at over one million members strong. Real Estate Designee.
• 88% of buyers were very satisfied with are in writing. GREEN – NAR’s Green Designation. You have
their agent’s knowledge of the purchase process. • Provide equal service to all clients and customers. made the commitment to environmental consciousness;
So, whether you’re buying or selling a home — it pays
• Be knowledgeable and competent in the fields of choose a REALTOR® who understands and shares
• 77% of home buyers used a
your green real estate goals. Choose an NAR Green
real estate agent and/or broker to complete practice in which you ordinarily engage. Obtain
to work with a REALTOR®. Look for the REALTOR® logo Designee.
their transaction. assistance or disclose lack of experience if
necessary. To access information on the family of REALTOR® designations
when choosing your real estate agent. and certifications, visit: www.REALTOR.org/edmatrix
• Do not engage in the unauthorized practice of law.