1. choosing the
Native apps vs.
HTML5 apps vs.
Global travel community, most
authentic design & foodie travel tips
World’s best travel app builder
for brands and DMOs
This presentations builds on
our experience in mobile
4. This is the same as Responsive Design. It means your
normal websites are functional on small mobile
It’s important because of when people search for you
or stumble upon you on mobile. If the page is not easy
to use people instantly leave again. Some travel sites
are already experiencing 30% of their visitors come
from mobile browsers.
✓ Cheapest and fastest
✓ Becoming more important by the day
✓ Works on all feature and smart phone
- Tends to becomes messy, too much info
- Less deep interaction
- Online only
A mobile optimized page
increases visit time with up to
2 minutes (IAB)
Mobile optimized web
Mobile optimized serves
visitors in: Mobile search,
Mobile ads, Browsing
5. Responsive design & mobile optimized design is the
same thing, it makes information readable in all
6. Native apps are build directly for the operating
system; Android, iPhone, Windows or Blackberry. Native
is work better and are best for deeper engagement
✓ Only format that can work oﬄine!
✓ Distribution people know (AppStore)
✓ More options for Functionality/design
✓ Built in features: camera and GPS
✓ Best for sharing
- More expensive, build separately to each
- Frequent updates can be a hassle
7. Native Apps is the rolls royce of mobile experience.
They can be designed to look nicer.
8. Also called HTML5 apps, are a hybrid. It’s
web language wrapped in a shell so it looks
like a native app. Initially these technologies
were slow and troublesome but they are
becoming better, though still not as fast and
good as native.
✓ Cheaper, build for all phones at once
✓ More developers who can code these
✓ Can look almost like an native app
- Poorer performance (time to load etc.)
- Can only do less advanced features
Facebook recently switched from
HTML5 to native due to
9. HTML5 apps run directly on the internet. They have
fallen out of favor with many professional app
developers, but the technology shows big promise.
10. What’s best depends on what you are
you trying to achieve?
Convert visit to fans Build awarenessvs.
Apps are best for deep
Mobile web is best for
11. Fans - Build for word of mouth
52% use apps in-destination. Their purpose:
‣ 94% research things to do
‣ 75% search for restaurants
‣ 80% for maps and directions
Investing in giving guests a better experience in-destination gives them a better
holiday, then they share more positive posts on social media. This gives word of
mouth, therefore it can increase awareness.
Eﬀect of sharing.
‣ App had 1727 downloads
‣ Got 56 x share to Facebook. Seems
modest, but effect is big
‣ (56 x 312 friends) is 17.427 people
Most people download travel apps
12. ‣ Choose mobile strategy based on your objective: Awareness
(new customers) or Loyalty (higher margins)
‣ Responsive design is important to reach new customers.
‣ Native apps are better for loyalty and return visitors
13. By Tine Thygesen, @tahitahi
Considering an app for your
email@example.com for great