• According to Facebook, there are more than 200 million
Facebook users with over 100 million users l
F b k ith illi logging i
• If Facebook were a country, the number of users would be
th equivalent of th fifth most populated nation in the
i l t f the t l t d ti i th
world, behind China, India, the United States, and
• More women use F
M Facebook, regardless of age.
b k dl f
• Facebook’s growth is with users over age 26, with the
majority of the growth coming from users 35 to 44 years of
• A business presence on Facebook will help merchants
connect in a personal way with huge segments of the
b i public.
– Adults, professionals, sales reps, job
seekers, business communities
– Making connections and recommendations;
creating communities, gathering leads
– Easy and free to set up for basic membership
• On Aug. 12, 2009, LinkedIn registered its 45 millionth
user. (LinkedIn s
user (LinkedIn’s Marketing Project Manager tweeted this
• According to comScore, LinkedIn gets over 16 million
unique visitors each month
• The average LinkedIn user is 39 and makes $139,000 a
year. About 90,000 users are chief executive officers, and
nearly half a million others occupy another job in the C
• BMW, American Express advertise on LinkedIn. Microsoft,
Target eBay and L’Oreal pay upwards of $10k per month
to search LinkedIn profiles for job candidates.
• Twitter has more than 6 million registered users, but the
site has more than 14 million regular visitors per month
• eMarketer projects that those numbers will double by the
end of this year to 12.1 million users, and grow another 50
percent in 2010 to bring the service to a total audience of
roughly 18 million registered users.
• The passive Twitter audience – people who don’t actually
tweet hence accounting for the difference between traffic
and users – will likely continue to grow, much in the way
that blogs have over the past decade.
• People who don’t tweet themselves will visit the Twitter
profiles of friends, family, or their favorite celebrities -- and
access that information in different ways.
• With more than 100 million users, MySpace is roughly half
th size of F
• MySpace is owned by Fox Interactive Media (a sister
company of the Fox News Channel)
• MySpace makes money via advertising – the service
collects user information and uses behavioral targeting to
determine which ads are shown to users.
• Median reported user age is 26, though site is best-known
for its teen-age users and musicians. (Presidential
campaigns and political groups ranging from the John
Birch S i t t th
Bi h Society to the ACLU maintain profiles on th
i t i fil the
• Early blogs were a combination of online diaries or
journals email lists and “threaded” discussion forums
• The Drudge Report is one of the first “news” blogs.
• Evolved from “what’s new” pages on personal sites to
commercial bl software such as Bl
i l blog ft h Blogger, W dP
Movable Type and LiveJournal.
• Blogging took off when tools made it easy to combine
l journals with li k t others – permalinks,
l ith links to th li k
• Today, blogging is intertwined with news media and social
media, as celebrities, news reporters and anchors,
di l b iti t d h
columnists and politicians not only blog, but share their
blogs via Facebook, Twitter and other social media.
About Tin Cans Unlimited
• Our decades of experience in
communication management, public
relations and publishing extended to
Internet development more than 25 years
ago, with some of the nation’s first
commercial, media and non-profit
• Visit our blog, “String Theory,” at
blog String Theory
www.tincansunlimited.com for the latest
thoughts and concepts on marketing in
g p g
the digital age.
• Visit us on Facebook
• Follow us on Twitter @tincansllc
• Connect with us on LinkedIn