1. In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms andconventions of real media products?Above is a photograph of “The Source” magazine next to “Mercy” magazine which i created.
2. Masthead Website Dateline Model credit Main Model credit Main cover line Free giftMain Image Model credit Model credit Price Barcode Blackberry barcode
3. Main features Title of contents Cover storyEditors note Page numbers Subscription note
4. Images of main artist Article Pull quotes ColumnsWhen creating my magazine I stuck to traditional hip hop magazine codes andconventions as much as I could, and looked at other music magazines to set an examplefor my own such as “Vibe” magazine. I made the style and layout of my music magazinesimilar to that of other magazines of the same genre. For instance, on the front cover ofmy magazine I used a large image of my main artist which took up a lot of the pagewhich didn’t cover the title because I the artist I was focusing on was an up and comingartist and in other established magazines they had their artists in front of their mastheadpartially covering it because the artists were already famous and made the brand of themagazine more popular but because my artist is new and hardly anyone has heard ofhim I made sure to make him the main focus but also make sure that the audience knewit was a Mercy magazine, I borrowed this convention from various other magazines suchas Vibe and NME, which I had noticed often did the same thing. I decided to copy theirtechnique as I felt it created a big impact upon the target audience. The backgroundcolour for the pages of my magazine was black because I wanted that to be one of mymain colours featured throughout the magazine along with yellow and white, as Iobserved in other popular music magazines such as Q and Kerrang that it was commonfor music magazines to have darker background colours for their pages and also have a
5. brighter colour added to their colour scheme to make the magazine stand out. I alsofollowed examples of other magazines in various additional aspects of my magazinesuch as the way my headings were formatted and the way my text, photographs, andcaptions were presented. However I challenged some conventions of real mediaproducts through the use of one of my photographs. The majority of my photographs Itried to make representative of the hip hop music genre but the one photo on mydouble page spread of “ANTZ” smiling. This is really untraditional to see in a hip hopmagazine of a rapper because rappers are stereotyped to be angry, aggressive andserious 24/7. In the made-up interview the made-up artist “ANTZ” mentioned his love ofmusic, how happy he is that he has starting to live his dream so the photograph of himlooking happy and content with himself and his life seemed logical to use.