Regional GAVI HSS Status
Dr Sunil Senanayake
(Health Systems Management)
What other countries are doing…
• Bangladesh – Focusing 20 low coverage districts
• Bhutan – service expansion
• DPRK – cold chain equipment and training
• India – cold chain equipment and logistics
• Indonesia – Training, information gathering,
• Nepal – service expansion and HRH development
• Sri Lanka – 12 low coverage districts
• Timor Leste – service expansion and HRH
What are the major issues…
capacity development of all levels, Quality aspects,
Incentive package, accountability, coordination of
redundancy of planned activities, reprogramme,
phasing off GAVI Support
Quality, AEFI surveillance, Emphasis on
Annual revision f unit costs and frequent changes in
financial regulations, Inter-district variations in
technical and management capacity
coordination of planning, implementation and
monitoring, frequent staff changes, combine funds
and difficulty in getting financial reports on GAVI
HSS, political instability, HR and procurement
Lack of guidance from missions, results based
financing, Work load is too heavy for existing staff
at project level
Overall Health Systems Assessment???
HRH Assessment & Profiles
HIS Assessment and HMN support
Drugs, medical products, equipment
Essential drug list???
Drug Regulatory mechanism???
Service availability mapping commenced??
Health sector master plan???