A summary of the working sessions throughout the Volunteer Management training for child helplines hosted by the Dutch child helpline "De Kindertelefoon" in Amsterdam, The Netherlands, on 5-7 July
A summary of the working sessions throughout the Volunteer Management training for child helplines hosted by the Dutch child helpline "De Kindertelefoon" in Amsterdam, The Netherlands, on 5-7 July 2010.
1. Training For Child Helplines - Volunteer Management 5-7 July 2010 Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2. <ul><li>E = ENTREPRENEURS </li></ul><ul><li>O = ORGANISERS </li></ul><ul><li>ST = STIMULATORS </li></ul><ul><li>SU = SUPPLIERS </li></ul>DIFFERENT TYPES OF VOLUNTEERS & THE RATIO AT YOUR CHILD HELPLINES
3. Key Motivations To Volunteer For A Child Helpline
4. Exercise – Present Your Child Helpline <ul><li>All participants were asked to present their child helpline service as if they were presenting it to potential volunteers. The audience was requested to provide feedback to the presenters on the strong selling points they heard in the presentations and that are either attractive, inspiring, challenging, motivating or meaningful to volunteers. For this exercise the group split up into two groups. </li></ul><ul><li>Below are a few statements gathered in the feedback of group 1. </li></ul>
5. Volunteers get an insight into a big organisation Provide recognised certificates from a well respected organisation that can be used inCV The organisation offers E-volunteering options
6. Volunteers become part of a European movement with similar services operating the same number in various countries Working hours are challenging but shifts are possible Provide recognised certificates from a well respected organisation that can be used in CV Volunteers can get involved in different helplines and online services;
7. Opening hours can be challenging but the organisation tries to be as flexible as possible to enable volunteers to participate Give great importance to every single volunteer Give strong link between the work of the volunteers and their impact on the lives of children and young people. This creates an emotional attachment to the service Volunteers become part of a big team Clear communication regarding the tasks and how the work should be done
8. Kids Help Phone started off as a volunteer project. This is display of the power of volunteering can inspire potential volunteers . Volunteers are taken serious. They are Ambassadors for the organisation with challenging tasks like public speaking. Volunteers can get involved in a variety of activities and tasks (networking, fundraising, leadership, etc.)
9. Volunteers can work directly with children and young people Volunteers get inspired to become Ambassadors for Children! Volunteers will be part of a well known and respected organisation in the country University officially acknowledges Volunteerships with the organisation
10. Strong focus on team building and regular group activities National service with several regional offices and work options for volunteers Good working hours! Volunteers will receive good training and on job supervision An option to meet volunteer with various backgrounds, not psychologists and social workers
12. VOLUNTEERS – LEARNING STYLES
13. VOLUNTEERS – TRAINING CURVE
14. SUCCESS SPIRAL
17. THE ULTIMATE TRUTH !
18. LESSONS LEARNT
20. THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR COMING TO AMSTERDAM. CHILD HELPLINE INTERNATIONAL HOPES YOU FOUND THIS TRAINING USEFUL AND COULD TAKE HOME SOME NEW IDEAS INTO YOUR CHILD HELPLINE SERVICES. THANKS TO “DE KINDERTELEFOON” FOR THEIR HOSPITALITY, FOR ALL THE TIME AND EFFORTS THEY PUT INTO THIS EVENT AND FOR SHARING THEIR VAST KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE IN THE FIELD OF VOLUNTEER MANAGEMENT WITH US. THANKS TO C&A FASHION COMPANY FOR THEIR CONTINUOUS SUPPORT AND THEIR COMMITMENT TO THE WORK OF CHILD HELPLINES IN EUROPE. THANKS TO THE OAK FOUNDATION FOR EXPANDING THIS EVENT TO GLOBAL LEVEL AND TO FACILITATE KNOWLEDGE TRANSFER AMONGST EUROPE AND THE AMERICAS. THANKS TO THE EUROPEAN COMMISSION FOR THEIR ONGOING SUPPORT TO CHILD HELPLINE INTERNATIONAL IN ITS ENDAVOUR OF REACHING MORE CHILDREN THROUGH BETTER CHILD HELPLINE SERVICES IN EUROPE.