1. What will the communication technology landscape look like in 2023 A.D.?
2. Table of Contents
• Roger’s Diffusion of Innovations
• Moore’s Innovation Adoption Rate
• Critical Mass Theory
• The Internet of Things
• Technology in 2023
• Work Cited
3. Roger’s Diffusion of Innovations
According to Everett Roger,
the origins of the diffusion of innovations theory are very various.
He claims that there are four main elements that influence the spread of a new idea:
In blue, groups of consumers cross the market share, in yellow,
in order to reach the critical mass.
4. Roger’s Diffusion of Innovations
• “Diffusion of Innovation “is originated in
communication to explain how, over time,
an idea or product gains momentum and
diffuses through a specific population or
• People adopt new technology and use it
as a new life style.
5. Moore’s Innovation Adoption Rate
• Moore introduced what he called "the
chasm” to Roger’s concept.
• Moore noticed that Roger’s innovators and
early adaptors wouldn’t reach a full market
as well as early and late majority adaptors.
• This is the area that Moore calls the
chasm. Crossing the chasm seems to be a
critical and difficult task that any innovation
or innovative company must successfully
accomplish to reach wide market success.
6. Moore’s Innovation Adoption Rate
7. Critical Mass Theory
• According to Roger, “critical mass is a sufficient number of
adopters of an innovation in a social system so that the rate of
adoption becomes self-sustaining and creates further growth.”
• In other words, when a new technology is used by one, another
customer will want to use it as well. This is the beginning of the
8. The Internet of Things
• 10 years ago, we had maybe 1 or 2 objects in our
environment connected to Internet.
• Today, we have cellphones, tablets, PC, cars, TV, game
systems, and even our refrigerators.
• In 10 years, there will be over
50 Billion devices connected to Internet.
• The Voice Over Internet Protocol is
growing and playing a more important role
9. Technology in 2023
• Social network
The social networks are constantly growing and providing new
possibilities to users to communicate and feel closer.
We now can see each other and talk.
In 2023 we will probably be able to be virtually present thanks to
holograms and have a virtual body miles away from us.
10. Technology in 2023
In 1920, the first televisions were available to consumers and stayed
in black and white for decades.
Today, thanks to the Internet, smart TVs in 3D and 4D are created to
provide more entertainment to our daily life.
The resources of the television seem unlimited including voice
recognition, holograms, leaving room ambiance, and video games.
The TV will look like more and more like a skit or a scene that
physically and actually occurs in the living room.
11. Technology in 2023
In movies like The Fifth Element, or Back to the Future, people look
at the future with flying cars.
Cars will probably never fly, but technologies could allow them to
drive by themselves. We would just have to talk to the car about our
destination and the music we want to listen to.
12. Technology in 2023
Every year, a new smartphone is launched and the technology
increase accordingly. In 10 years, phones will be very different and
practical. They will be controlled by our mind, our emotions. Maybe
they will be in us, in our skin, in our ears, in our glasses or watches.
Holograms will be also a tool of our smartphones and we will be able
to call in 3D.
13. Work cited
-Boston University School of Public Health. (n.d.). Diffusion of Innovation
Theory. Behavioral Change Models. Retrieved January 22, 2013. From
-Save Pune, Act Now. (n.d). The Critical Mass Theory. Savepune. From
-PBWorks. ( May 2007). Diffusion of Innovation. Eelearning. From
-Chui, M. Loffler, M. and Roberts, R. (March 2010). The Internet of Things.
Insights and Publications. From