K an 18 year old recent high school graduate who is both academically
and athletically gifted. She comes from a family with limited means.
She is moving to a larger city to seek employment.
Needs a way to:
Successfully experience living in a large city and seek out a variety of
opportunities so that she can discover her interests
She believes that discovering her interests will lead her to an
appropriate education/career path.
• Stakeholder ‘K’ is starting a journey to a new
• Which makes me think of times I have
travelled to new places and how I have
My Favourite Idea - #59
• During the creation of the Empathy Map I was most moved by the
stakeholder’s concern about her lack of life skills and basic
knowledge about how to do everyday things. This is the area that
she was most distraught about.
• When I am going to visit somewhere new (a stranger in a strange
land) I turn to Travel Guides. And while I read them in anticipation
of the journey, they are most useful while I am on the trip and I am
able to focus on my immediate need.
• “Tour Guides to the Future” would be a community based program
of volunteers who have knowledge in different life skill areas and
would be willing to answer questions, provide directions, etc. for a
young person as they navigate the transitions in their lives.
From Ideate Assignment
Inspiration: Travel Resources
Our local Tourism Ambassador
Program Travel Guides
Prototype – Tour Guides to the Future
• Event (utilizing either World Café or Open Space
process) with High School students to identify areas of
concern re: moving from school to world of work and
moving from home to being on their own.
• Recruit and Train community volunteers (Tour Guides)
who are subject matter experts in the areas identified
by the students
• During the last semester of Grade 12 (final year) the
Tour Guides would provide engaging, interactive
workshops and seminars for students. These would be
held on Friday afternoons and students would have a
number of opportunities to choose from.
Prototype: Follow Up Resources
• Tour Guides would be available for on-going
contact with students (to answer their questions)
– could be through telephone directory, texting,
Facebook, face-to-face interaction, etc.
• A series of “Travel Guides” would be created to
support the seminars and workshops and to
provide follow up information.
• An app could be created to allow students easy
access to information.
The first process map –
Tour Guide to the Future - Prototypes
Prototype #1 - Tour Guides Prototype #2 - Travel Guides
TestingKeanna – the Stakeholder
Anne – High School Teacher
Feedback – Prototype 1
Comments in red ink is Feedback from Stakeholder and Teacher
Feedback – Prototype 2
Additional topics to include:
• How to pay bills
• What does being on
probation mean (job)
• How to move
• How to cope with leaving
and how to deal with
your parents upset
• What are taxes and how
changes to titles
Am I done? What next?
If I was to continue, I would
• Test the prototypes with more young people to
ensure it reflects their language and needs.
• Further develop ideas around recruitment of the
“Tour Guides” by talking to potential subject
matter expert volunteers to explore their ideas
• Develop a list of contents for the Travel Guides
• Develop a prototype for the Passport idea
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.