1. The Preschool Years (3 to 5 Years Old)Discuss the health and safety practices that you will implement for your preschool child.1. Water is dangerous for children if parent do not take the proper precautions, “Nearly 1,000 kids die eachyear by drowning. And most drowning occurs in home swimmingpools.”( http://kidshealth.org/parent/firstaid_safe/outdoor/water_safety.html) Keep children safe areimportant. So when children are near the sink, the toilet bowl, or bathroom, it is very important tosupervisor them well. The bathroom is full of dangerous for every child, so never leave a child near thebathroom or in the tub. Next, hot water can be dangerous, too because children’s skins are thinner thanadults and they burn very easily, “Just 3 seconds of exposure to hot tap water thats 140°F (60°C) cangive a child a third-degree burn.”( http://kidshealth.org/parent/firstaid_safe/outdoor/water_safety.html#)Moreover, it is significant to teach children water safety, such as parents should tell them that do not runor push around the pool and be careful when the floor wet.2. Infection diseases can spread in a variety of ways. So hand washing is the most important way to reducethe spread of infections. Then it is very important encourage preschoolers to focus on hand washingafter they use the toilet and before they eat or handle food. Since preschoolers have the ideas to washhands, they often turn their attentions to the exciting activities. According to the text book, HealthyFoundations in Early Childhood Settings, “for preschool and school age children, the educator’s roleevolves from one of physically washing their hands to one of encouraging, supervising, and modelingeffective hand washing.”(P132)3. Preschool children are still not having the sense of dangerous, they are learning about the surroundings,so it is important to teach them the safety issues. Fire safety is very important because children arenaturally curious and this can lead them to dangerous events, “Preschooler in particular should be taughtto stay away from ovens and stoves while they are being used. They should never touch matches,lighters or candles.” (http://www.ehow.com/info_12015406_five-important-safety-issues-teach-preschoolers.html) In addition, if children have found the matches or lighters, parents should ask themto put them away and tell them the important of safety.4. Learning to cross a street is a lesson that every preschooler should know. In preparation for children togo to kindergarten, they have to learn about traffic, how to cross the street, and the role of crossing.Every time, when crossing a street, it is very important to explain to children the importance of crossingat a street rather than go through the middle of the street. Show to children where the flash lights, howthe light buttons look like and the importance of waiting the red light to green light. In addition,preschoolers should understand the basic rules of crossing a street that does not have a traffic light. It isessential to safety, “children are still learning their surroundings, so it is important to teach them a set ofgeneral guidelines that will help protect them throughout theday.”( http://www.ehow.com/info_12015406_five-important-safety-issues-teach-preschoolers.html)5. Children love to swimming, so drowning is a leading cause of accidental death, “although the greatestpercentage of drowning occur in natural aquatic settings, (e.g. oceans, lakes, quarries, etc.) drowning dooccur in swimming pools.”(http://www.safekid.org/drowning.htm) Children drowning and neardrowning can happen in a second. So it is very important to watch children in and around water. Forexample, never leave children in a tub, in or around water because pools and spas are attractive to
2. children. Next, do not allow children to swim alone in the pool or in the hot tub. Moreover, keep thebathroom doors or laundry room closed.The School Age Years (6 to 12 Years Old)As a parent, what are some of your concerns regarding your child’s health and safety during the School Age years?1) Children around 6 years old to 9 years old are not fully understand the dangers of the world around them.So it is very important to watch and explain to children why safety is important and prevent children getinjure. When children at home, parents need to pay much attention because children at this stage aremore independent and like to try new things. Burn prevention plays an important role when children athome, “young children have thinner skin than older children and adults, their skin burns at lowertemperatures and more deeply.”(http://www.safekids.org/safety-basics/big-kids/at-home/burn-safety.html) Here are some suggestions that help children safe:Do not allow children use microwave until they are fully understand the dangerous.Supervisor children when they are in the kitchen, around the electrical and outlets.Keep matches out of children’s sights or other materials that cause fire.Teacher children what they need to do when they hear the fire alarm2) Another safety parents need to concern is the falls prevention for children, “fall causes more than 3million childhood injuries every year.”(http://www.homesafetycouncil.org/safetyguide/sg_falls_w002.asp) As children get older, they are moreactive, curious and play around. They never know the dangerous of head injuries which lead to death.So when children at the playground make sure no hazard things, supervisor’s children the whole time,and provide safe places to play. In addition, for the furniture safety, make sure no toys or items thatattract children on top of the furniture don’t have an area that children can climb on and do not place thefurniture away from windows. Last but not least, always have the window guards that protect childrenfrom seeing outside or from injuries.3) Children love to swimming, so drowning is a leading cause of accidental death, “although the greatestpercentage of drowning occur in natural aquatic settings, (e.g. oceans, lakes, quarries, etc.) drowning dooccur in swimming pools.”(http://www.safekid.org/drowning.htm) Children drowning and neardrowning can happen in a second. So it is very important to watch children in and around water. Forexample, never leave children in a tub, in or around water because pools and spas are attractive tochildren. Next, do not allow children to swim alone in the pool or in the hot tub. Moreover, keep thebathroom doors or laundry room closed.
3. 4) It is very important to protect children safety from the cause of germs and food poisoning, “unpreparedfoods cause up to 81 million people to get sick each year, with almost 9000 of these illness leading todeath. Children are among the people most at risk for serious illness from food poisoning.”(http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/nutrition/food_safety.html) Here are some safety techniques thatprotect children:a) Do not give children undercook food such as meats, food or eggsb) Wash hand property. For example, wash hand for twenty seconds with soap and warm water.c) Do not buy or use foods without intact packaging.5) Injuries and deaths from fires and carbon monoxide may a big problem in winter. Since as many aspeople use heater, or fireplaces or chimneys, it expands the dangerous quickly. It states that, “the U.S.Fire Administration (USFA) reports that there have been more than 150 home fires and 200 deaths in the UnitedStates since Thanksgiving.”( http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/welcome/winter/winter_health_safety.html) Tokeep children safe, it is very important follow the instruction here:Install smoke alarm ---when the fuel burning have came to home, the alarm should ring which parents shouldknow there is problem at home. So this minor the spread of fuel burning.Keep heaters on a level so that children cannot grap it to open of play with it.
4. Reflection Paper (1 page)Think about how might your child’s development might be different if s/he was raised by people with different socioeconomic,ethnic or cultural backgrounds. How would the concept of the “whole child” play a role?(Please avoid stereotypes)High income and social status affect my child’s development. High income and social status determines livingconditions, health and educations. First, high income and social status determines living conditions such as safehousing and nutrition foods. Comparing to poor living conditions, parents do not have quality living conditionswhich causes children malnourished, “Malnourishment is especially damaging during infancy because growth isso rapid during this time.” (Child Development: A Chronological Approach, p116) Second, high income andsocial status associate with better health such as dental and medical care, “The healthiest populations are thosein societies which are prosperous and have an equitable distribution of wealth.”(Healthy Foundations in EarlyChildhood Settings, p5) Poor health causes young children are infectious disease, “measles kills nearly 1million children annually but ban be prevented with vaccinations.” (Child Development: A ChronologicalApproach, p117) Third, high income and social status affect children’s educations because if the families havemuch money, they of course sent their children to a well design environment to study. So the children’sknowledge is much expanding than poor families. According to the textbook, Healthy Foundations in EarlyChildhood Settings, it says that, “it increase opportunities for job and income security and job satisfaction, andit improves people’s ability to access and understand information to help keep them healthy.” (P6) Inconclusion, living conditions, health and educations are connecting to each other that affect child’s development.Cultural backgrounds affect the child’s development because every country has different cultural backgrounds,they believe different values and phylospphy. For example, in China, the curriculum for children are based onteacher directed, “Children seldom work independently or in small groups on self-selected tasks. Instead, theemphasis is upon teacher-directed, total group instruction. All children are expected to do the same thing at thesame time. For example, in a typical art lesson the teacher demonstrates how to fold and twist tissue paper intobutterflies. She then gives guidance to those children doing it incorrectly before proceeding to the next step ofpasting the butterfly onto paper and drawing antennae. Drawing lessons often consist of children copying anobject drawn by the teacher.”( http://www.pbs.org/kcts/preciouschildren/earlyed/read_vaughan.html)Comparing to Ontario that its curriculum is based on children-directed, children are learning to be active andteachers discover their interests by they are playing. As see, the cultural background is different, children maybe taught in different methods.
6. Self evaluation:The strengths I have of this assignment are having the basic knowledge of child’s development and the health, safetythat parents need to concern for each year of children. First of all, I have the basic knowledge of child’s development;how those three components affect every child’s develop, such as, physical, emotional/social or intellectual. Second, Iknow what are the healthy and safety that parents need to concern in this assignment. From doing this assignment backand forth, child’s health and safety are important for every year and every time. Still, there are challenges for me. It isthe writing because since my vocabulary is poor, it is hard for me to use some different words or phrase. For example,you will see I use “it is very important because...” a lot. How to improve my vocabulary? It is going to read more andwrite more. From this assignment, I have to prove my example from the any reference that make me have the ability toread more and write. It is a practical that improve reading and writing.