SAMBA SERVER IN LINUX
What is Linux?
• Linux is, in simplest terms, an operating
system. It is the software on a computer
that enables applications and the
computer operator to access the devices
on the computer to perform desired
• Linux is an operating system, a large
piece of software that manages a
computer. It is similar to Microsoft
Windows, but it is entirely free. The
accurate name is GNU/Linux but "Linux"
is used more often.
• In Linux there are many hundreds of
free, high quality applications you can
find, install and uninstall neatly and
• Using the open source code of the
Linux kernel, people have been
developing operating systems based
on the Linux kernel.
• Linux has provided us some of the best
servers to share every possible
transactions. One of them is Linux
What is Samba ?
• Samba is an Open Source Suite, that
provides seamless file and print
services to SMB/CIFS clients.
• Samba is freely available.
• With Samba, you can share a Linux
file system with Windows 95, 98, 2000
and NT and vice versa.
• Samba allows Windows clients to
access resources on Linux computers.
• You can also share printers connected to
either Linux or a system with Windows
95, 98, 2000 or NT.
• Samba enables a Linux or Unix server to
function as a file server for client PCs
running Windows software.
What is SMB?
• SMB stands for – Server Message
• It is a protocol by which a lot of PCrelated machines share files and
printers and other information such
as lists of available files and printers.
• Operating systems that support this
natively include Windows
NT, OS/2, and Linux.
• smbd daemon: This provides the file and
print services to SMB clients such as
Windows NT or other Linux or Unix clients.
• smb.conf: This is the configuration file for
• nmbd daemon: This daemon provides
NetBIOS name serving and browsing
• smbpasswd: This allows the user to change
the password used for their SMB sessions.
• smbclient: This is an smb client program
that implement a simple FTP-like client on
a Linux or Unix box.
• smbmount: This mounting program
enables mounting of server directories on a
Linux or Unix box.
• smbstatus: This programs lists the current
• SWAT: Swat allows a Samba administrator
to configure the smb.conf file via a Web
What is CIFS?
• CIFS – Common Internet File System is a
protocol that is basically an updated SMB.
• Samba configuration file located
• In this file main section is Global where you
can define all parameters.
workgroup = debian
NetBIOS name = debianserver
server string = %h server (Samba %v)
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 1000
syslog = 0