1. Selling Off Rainbow Foods
• During the first-quarter earnings release, Roundy’s
said it would be selling off its 27 Rainbow stores in
the Twin Cities.
• The company already has an agreement to sell 18 to
Twin City grocers.
• The other nine will either be sold or simply closed.
• Remaining Store Count:
• Pick ’n Save: 93 stores, 64% of all locations
• Copps: 25 stores, 17% of all locations
• Mariano’s 25 stores, 17% of all locations
• Metro Market 3 stores, 2% of all locations
2. Terrible Q1 Results
• Even though there were more Mariano’s stores in
operation for more than a year, same-store sales
were down a whopping 5.2% during the first
• Even more alarming, there was an 8% decrease in
• Guidance called for continued negative same-store
sales throughout the year.
• This negative outlook excludes the Rainbow stores,
and reflects just how week Roundy’s non-Mariano’s
3. What to Watch in 2014
• Taking the company’s
investors should hope
for nothing more
than a 1.5% decrease
in this metric.
• The company has financed
its future on the success
• However, there are lots of
competing in Chicago as
well. Listen to Roundy’s
conference calls to see if
Mariano’s is running into
trouble against more
Find out about a small company that could change the way
consumer goods are bought and sold around the world. Few
have heard of the company; even fewer have invested in it.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.