How 5 of The Richest U.S.
Congressman Grew Their Fortune
5. Jim Renacci (R-Ohio)
Average estimated net worth: $36.6 million
– Indiana University of Pennsylvania
• Can you “account” for that?
– Renacci started his career as an accountant.
– He founded LTC Management, which owned a
string of nursing homes.
• Just the beginning
– Later, he founded a CPA firm.
– In all, Renacci has, “owned and operated over
60 entities [and] created more than 1,500
4. Vernon Buchanan (R-Fla)
Average estimated net worth: $88.8 million
– Cleary University and M.B.A. from University
• Car Dealerships
– Buchanan used what was left from his
previously failed business venture to buy a car
dealership. Then he bought a few more.
– By 2005 his dealerships had $756 million in
• What’s the risk?
Source: Vern Buchanan
– Buchanan now owns two reinsurance
3. John K. Delaney (D-Md)
Average estimated net worth: $154.6 million
– Columbia University and Georgetown
University Law School
1st business venture
– HealthCare Financial Partner Inc. provides
financing to small and medium-sized health
2nd business venture
– CapitalSource Inc. is a commercial lender.
– The Business trades on the New York Stock
– Delaney serves on the board of the $2.7
billion market cap company.
2. Jared Polis (D-Colo)
Average estimated net worth: $197.9 million
– Princeton University
• Thanks Mom!
– Polis’ Mother turned her poetry into the
greeting card family business
• The dot-com bubble
Source: Congressman Jared Polis
– Polis mad a killing selling
bluemountainarts.com at the height of the
dot-com bubble. Polis sold his second
company, ProFlowers, in 2006.
– The companies sold for a estimated combined
1. Mark Warner (D-Va)
Average estimated net worth: $257.5 million
– George Washington University & Harvard Law
• Thanks cell phones:
– Used his law degree to broker mobile phone
• The big money:
Source: The Washington Post
– Founded the venture capital firm Columbia
– Warner co-founded the company that would
become Nextel. Along with hundreds of other