2. The Winter Olympics in
Sochi, Russia, wasn’t the
only place to find big
winners this week. Several
health-care stocks also
deserved gold medals for
Source: Wikimedia Commons.
3. Forest Laboratories (NYSE: FRX)
Shares of this drugmaker soared nearly 36% this week.
4. Why did Forest catch on fire?
• Specialty pharmaceutical firm
Actavis (NYSE: ACT) announced a
$25 billion buyout of Forest Labs.
• The deal will result in combined
revenues of $15 billion.
• Expected operating synergies are
around $1 billion.
5. China Biologic Products (Nasdaq: CBPO)
Shares of the biopharmaceutical company surged almost 33%
higher for the week.
6. Why did China Biologic jump a great wall?
• No big new announcements
from the company this week.
• The earnings announcement is
still a few weeks away.
• The company has bought back
shares in recent months.
7. Chelsea Therapeutics (Nasdaq: CHTP)
Shares of the biotech climbed nearly 28% this week.
8. Why did Chelsea shares head north?
• Northera gained approval from
• The drug treats neurogenic
orthostatic hypotension (NOH), a
disorder that affects 80,000 to
• Chelsea expects to launch
Northera in the second half of
9. Best pick to stay humongous?
• The FDA win for Northera puts
Chelsea in a great position.
• Additional studies are required
since Northera received
accelerated approval, but results
will likely be positive.
• Chelsea appears poised to attract
interest from larger partners.
10. Find out which stock The Motley Fool’s chief
investment officer selected as the top pick for
2014 in our free report!