“Moneybags” aren’tthe only barrier tomarketing innovationBRITE ’11 conference survey summary: a marketing innovation reali...
BRITE ’11, presented by Columbia Business School’s Centerfor Global Brand Leadership, was inspiring and educationalwith en...
It’s not justthe moneybags   Key Findings: It should come as no surprise that Finance   (aka “The Moneybags” with 30% of t...
• Culture of Innovation—75% of the respondents described their workplaces as “innovation obsessed” or “innovation encourag...
about the survey       The Halo Group’s mobile survey, accessed via a QR code, and       promoted by an on-site program th...
1.  Rate your company’s receptiveness to marketing/brand  innovation on a scale of 1 to 4 (1 being very receptive, 4  bein...
3.              Which of the following best describes your brands’ use of              social media as part of its marketi...
5.  Does your brand have a mobile-friendly website?               don’t even know                              8%         ...
7.     How will you use, or plan to use, mobile marketing     techniques—QR codes, shortcodes, mobile applications,     mo...
9.         Are your company’s business goals clear enough to be         easily tied to your company’s marketing goals?    ...
The Halo Group     350 Seventh Ave, 21st Floor        New York, NY 10001          P: 212.643.9700Visit us online @ www.the...
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×

Halo briteconferencesurveysummary

209

Published on

0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total Views
209
On Slideshare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
0
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
2
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Halo briteconferencesurveysummary

  1. 1. “Moneybags” aren’tthe only barrier tomarketing innovationBRITE ’11 conference survey summary: a marketing innovation reality check pre sented by
  2. 2. BRITE ’11, presented by Columbia Business School’s Centerfor Global Brand Leadership, was inspiring and educationalwith engaging discussions about today’s best brand storiesand exciting exercises to stimulate innovation. While theconference buzzed of optimism and innovation, The HaloGroup sponsored a “Marketing Innovation Reality Check”survey to help today’s marketers identify priorities to betterimplement new marketing strategies.
  3. 3. It’s not justthe moneybags Key Findings: It should come as no surprise that Finance (aka “The Moneybags” with 30% of the vote) was identified as the main barrier to getting buy-in for innovative new marketing strategies. But, the CEO (aka “The Head Honcho”) was also identified as a barrier with 28%. Even more surprising, additional survey results show that, in a digitally driven marketing landscape, many companies did not have some of the basic knowledge, training or technology to successfully integrate new marketing ideas.
  4. 4. • Culture of Innovation—75% of the respondents described their workplaces as “innovation obsessed” or “innovation encouraged” and the remaining 25% described receptivity to innovation in their company as only “baby steps permitted”• Social Media—While 96% of attendees are currently using social media as part of their marketing efforts, a deeper look at their responses suggests that there is still a long way to go - 44% have a “basic presence” or less - Only 9% had internal social media training programs for their staff• Mobile—Showing the ever-growing interest in mobile, 97% plan to use mobile marketing technology in 2011 to connect with customers: - However, 52% of attendees are only in the process of making plans - And 53% never used QR Codes prior to this survey - And only 21% had a mobile-compatible website• ROI—ROI and transparency have been a major focus for marketers over the past few years and respondents indicate some progress. 85% of attendees said they could tie marketing goals to company goals. However that’s only the first step - Only 24% of marketers can produce ROI data for all their marketing efforts - The remaining 76% are still struggling to effectively track more than a few of their efforts
  5. 5. about the survey The Halo Group’s mobile survey, accessed via a QR code, and promoted by an on-site program that included conference signage and a “street team,” was intended to help understand the reality of creating, implementing and measuring innovation for today’s leaders in marketing. And there was no better place than the BRITE Conference, where attendees included marketers from top brands, leaders in academia, and the industries best marketing communications partners.survey vitals • Methodology: A 10-question, multiple-choice mobile survey accessed via QR code on-site at the BRITE conference • Timing: Survey was collected and tabulated in real-time using Google spreadsheets and delivered the same day • Respondents: 109 BRITE Conference Attendees (roughly one-third of registrants) ranging from CMO’s from top brands to leading Academia to the industries best agencies • One winner was selected at random to win an Apple iPadabout the conference BRITE ’11 brings together big thinkers from business, technology, media, and marketing to discuss emerging trends in marketing, innovation, technology, society, and culture and how these trends can transform the ways that companies build and sustain great brands.
  6. 6. 1. Rate your company’s receptiveness to marketing/brand innovation on a scale of 1 to 4 (1 being very receptive, 4 being very resistant)baby steps permitted 24% 44% innovation obsessed 32%innovation encouraged 2. Do you have an internal communications program to help all levels of your organization deliver a uniform brand experience for customers? nope highly developed 11% 16% sort of 22% 50% working on it
  7. 7. 3. Which of the following best describes your brands’ use of social media as part of its marketing efforts? huh? social what? monetizing it 4% 13% basic presence 40% 43% actively managing it 4. Do you have an internal training program for staff that manage your brands’ social media presence? highly developed training program 9% 39% none 39% limited rules and guidelines 13%we have external partners that do all of this
  8. 8. 5. Does your brand have a mobile-friendly website? don’t even know 8% yes, 100% mobile compatible 21% not really 38% 33% it mostly works 6. What is your experience with QR codes? QR is my life zero 4% 12% 43% i’m dabblingtoday was my first 41%
  9. 9. 7. How will you use, or plan to use, mobile marketing techniques—QR codes, shortcodes, mobile applications, mobile advertising—to connect with your customer in 2011? who needs mobile? important part of our plan 3% 27% 18% a few test efforts underwayjust making plans now 52% 8. What amount of your marketing spending can you tie to ROI metrics (e.g., sales growth, brand awareness, customer loyalty, etc.)? barely any none 18% 7% 24% virtually all a few initiatives 50%
  10. 10. 9. Are your company’s business goals clear enough to be easily tied to your company’s marketing goals? disagree 12% 3% strongly disagree agree 56% 29% strongly agree 10. What/who do you think is the biggest barrier to getting buy-in for innovative marketing strategies? staff 9% the head honcho (ceo) 28%the moneybags (finance) 30% the board of directors 2% 3% 29% the computer geeks (it) none
  11. 11. The Halo Group 350 Seventh Ave, 21st Floor New York, NY 10001 P: 212.643.9700Visit us online @ www.thehalogroup.net Mobile: thehalogroup.net/mobile/ Facebook: /thehalogroupny Twitter: @thehalogroup Media/Press Inquiries please contact Lara Cohn, lcohn@thehalogroup.net

×