VSA arts TENNESSEE
YOUNG SOLOIST SEARCH
Program provided by generous support of Senator Diane & Dr. David Black
VSA arts Tennessee is eagerly searching for the recipient of the 2011 Young Soloist
Award! The VSA Young Soloist Award recognizes outstanding young vocalists and
instrumentalists with a disability. This is an opportunity for musically talented students
and young professionals to earn scholarship funds and possibly an opportunity to perform
in Washington, D.C. at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts.
• Vocalist or instrumentalist
• Age 25 or younger by November 1, 2010
• Must have a disability (physical, mental or emotional)
• Ensembles of 2-8 members may also apply. The ensemble can be anything from a
rock band to a chamber quartet to a drum corp. At least one member of the ensemble
must have a disability and all members must fit the age requirement as noted above.
• Complete application form (attached)
• One page biographical information and the reasons why you feel you should be
selected as the recipient of the 2011 VSA arts Young Soloist Award.
• Tape or CD or DVD of three selections performed by the applicant
• Application requirements must be postmarked NO LATER than Nov. 1, 2010 and
mailed to VSA arts Tennessee at 1210 Lake Rise Place, Gallatin TN 37066.
• All applicants will be notified no later than December 15, 2010.
• Cash prizes for the top two finalists
• Performance opportunity on April 12 at the Schermerhorn Nashville Symphony Hall
• Tennessee’s representative in the International VSA competition
Bob Stagner – Shaking Ray Levi Society/Percussionist
JP Williams – Singer/Songwriter
VSA arts TENNESSEE
YOUNG SOLOISTS AWARD
(If this is a group, please provide applicant and contact info for all members and
note which has a disability)
2011 Application Form
Date of Birth:
Telephone Number: Email:
Add Names and date or birth of other members if this is a group:
Check the category in which you plan to apply. If you are an instrumentalist, please list
the instrument on which you will perform.
____ Instrumentalist ___________________________ (instrument)
Type of disability:
On a separate sheet of paper, please provide a one-page narrative including biographical
information and the reasons why you feel you/your group should be selected as the 2010
VSA arts Tennessee Young Soloist.
You must submit 4 audio tapes or CD’s with this application. Please indicate below the
type of tape provided:
____ Audio Tape CD ____ DVD
Tapes must include three selections. We recommend recording your best piece first.
Live music, not recorded, must be used as accompaniment if accompaniment is needed.
Please list the taped selections below:
Selection #1: ______________ Length: _________ _____
Selection #2: ______________________________ Length: ___________ _____
Selection #3: ________________ Length: _____________ ___
Parent/Guardian Signature (if applicant is under age 21):
Please submit this application form and your tape to:
VSA arts Tennessee
1210 Lake Rise Place
Gallatin TN 37066
Entries should be postmarked no later than Nov. 1, 2010.