• The Need
• Popular ORM Tools
• Technique for converting data between
incompatible systems developed using object
• Mechanism to persist objects in a system
• Done by mapping a complex type object to it’s
corresponding relational database entity.
• When you need the data access layer (DAL) to be
independent of the underlying RDBMS (i.e. MS
SQL, Oracle, MySQL etc.)
• When you need to persist the state of your
• Easily and quickly reflect the change in your
• Reduces the coding time by at least 60%.
• Brings in consistency in the code so easy to
handover and quick to learn.
• Popular ORM tools are built on standards (e.g.
code templates, Microsoft Enterprise Block etc.)
which ensure code stability.
• Easy binding of data with UI controls
• Easy CRUD operations
• Abstraction of concepts like cache management
• Transaction management can be easily
• Data loading can be optimized. (e.g. Paging)
• Help quickly build nTier applications
• Units Tests and Web Services can be built
automatically by a click of a button.