A massive open online course (MOOC)
is an online course aimed at unlimited
participation and open access via web.
MOOC provide interactive user for a
that help build a community for
students, professors and teaching
What is a MOOC?
On a MOOC information is everywhere
A MOOC is one way of learning
A MOOC is a course that is
Open- accessible, free and work done is shared
Lifelong network learning
A way to connect and collaborate while engaging in
the learning process.
What is a MOOC?
The first MOOC’s emerged from the open
educational resources movement. The term mooc
was coined by Dave Cormier of the University of
Prince Edward Island and Senior Research Fellow
Bryan Alexander of the National Institute for
Technology in Liberal Education response to a
course called Connectivism and Connective
MOOC’s emphasized expanded existing distance
learning offerings into free and open online courses.
History of MOOC’s
The MOOC Guide lists these benefits amongst
1. Appropriate for any setting that has connectivity
2. Any language or multiple languages
3. Any online tools
4. Escape time zones and physical boundaries
5. Produce and deliver in short timeframe
6. Contextualized content can be shared by all
7. Informal setting
Benefits of MOOC’s
The MOOC Guide list the possible challenges
1. Participants must create their own content
2. Digital literacy is necessary
3. Time and effort required from participants
4. It is organic which means the course will take its
5. Participants must self-regulate and set their own
Criticisms and challenges
The connected aspect of learning
is brought to the fore in a
cMOOCs are not proscriptive and
participants set their own learning
gaols and type of engagement.
More about MOOCs and
My field of interest is Accounting
and business studies.
I would like to learn more about
the business world in a more
simplified way that will not have
too much business jargon in it but
rather have a lot less than that.
My other field of interest
would be religion specifically
the Christian religion. I would
like to gather more information
with people who are religious
like me and we share the word.
Benefits and Challenges of a MOOC. MoocGuide 7 July
2011. Retrieved 4 February 2013 11:27