We will Study Types of
Responses to Stimuli….
What kind of
animal is this?
What is the
Reflex – a response that
happens fast and
(unconscious = do not
have to think)
Examples of reflexes?
Blinking, sneezing, knee
jerk, pupil dilating,
Stimuli for these reflexes?
Brain not used in
reflex reactions –
we don’t think
Why are reflexes so
much faster than
The signals in
nerves don’t have
to travel to brain Reflex arc video…
Instincts – behaviors that are
“programmed” into the DNA.
Animals DO NOT learn instincts.
Examples of instincts?
-Birds fly south for the winter
-Salmon find the way back to the
same exact river they were born in
-Baby snakes can catch insects right
after they are born
What Stimuli Trigger Instincts?
Birds that fly south for winter – stimulus =
amount of daylight (=time of year)
Salmon find their way back to same river –
stimulus = earth’s magnetic field and smell
Learned behaviors - come
from practice or
-Teaching your dog to sit
down when he hears the
word “sit” (Stimulus?)
-Seagulls following a
fishing boat for food
Do You Now Know the
Instincts, Reflexes and Learned
or Learned Behavior…….?
1. What is reaction time (we studied this in lab)?
2. What is the difference between an instinct and a reflex?
3. Give 3 examples of instinctive behaviors, and 3 examples of learned
4. Give one example of an instinct in dogs.
5. What does unconscious mean?
6. Your reaction time for grabbing the ruler in lab was about 0.25 seconds.
Do you think your reaction time when you touch a hot cup would be
faster or slower? Why?