2. Applying DogmeTeaching in MontessoriKindergarten classroom
3. Montessori Teaching1. Students have a choice of activity .2. Uniterrupted blocks of work time.3. The use of constructive or discovery learning model also known as ‘learning by doing’, students learn concepts from working with materials rather than by direct instruction.4. The use of specialized educational material developed by Montessori.
5. Why applying both? Both methods are based on interactivity as an essential aspect of learning process. Both approach stress that the need for textbooks should be filled with something more suitable to students need. This practice can be a source of empowerment for both teachers and students. All materials have relevance to learners, so it’s easier to understand.
6. How to apply Dogme teaching in Montessori classroom: 1. Prepared environment , based on the topic 2. Personalized worksheet 3. Interactivity – communicative learning01/09/2012 Icha – Jelta conference
7. The Circle time Science: Green beans experiment Muscle work: Playing with dirt Construction art: Carrot papier mache Printing art: Pizza cardboard Math : Addition01/09/2012 Icha – Jelta conference
8. Interactivity -> Construction art : Carrot’s Paper mache01/09/2012 Icha – Jelta conference
9. Discovery time’s booths: Vegetables muscle work : slicing, grating and plucking Logic booth : sort the beans Grammar booth : the singular and plural. Culture lesson: Matching vegetables with food Cooking booth : Mashed potatoes01/09/2012 Icha – Jelta conference
10. Prepared environment ->Grammar booth : Singular and Plural01/09/2012 Icha – Jelta conference
11. Cooking booth : Mashed Potatoes01/09/2012 Icha – Jelta conference
12. Personalized worksheet based on what each student needs01/09/2012 Icha – Jelta conference
13. Conclusion : Dogme teaching is applicable for my Kindergarten’s class.Suggestion This all entails hard work. It is required to do it in a large room with several teachers. It’s preferable to perform in a class whose children have mastered the art of indivual play of Montessori and with good proficiency in English (at least are capable to communicate in English). It is suggested that the lesson plans to be planned and performed in a week time and to make sure that the three-period lesson of Montessori is doable. Teacher should also encourage their students to actively partake in the provided activity.01/09/2012 Icha – Jelta conference
14. References and related Materials Bertrand J. (2004) . Dogme, a teacher’s view. In Teaching English, London: British Council and BBC. Retrieved 10th December 2011 from www.teachingenglish.org.uk Maley, A. (2003) . Creatives approaches to writing Materials. In B. Tomlinson (Ed). Developing Materials for Language teaching. London: Continuum. Meddings, L & Thornburry, S (2009) . Teaching Unplugged: Dogme in English Language Teaching. Peaslake, UK: Delta Publishing. Montessori, M. (1992). Education and Peace. Oxford: ANC-Clio Press. Stephenson, S. (2006) . Chold of the World: Montessori For Ages 3 – 12+ (Michael Olaf’s Essential Series). Arcata, California: Michael Olaf Montessori Company. Thornburry, S. (1996) . Paying Lip Service to CLT. ELICOS Association Journal, 14, pp 51-63. Thornburry, S. (2000) . A Dogme for EFL. IATEFL Issues 153(2). Thornburry, S. (2005) . “Dogme: Dancing in the dark?” Folio, 9(2). Pp. 3-5. Retrieved 23rd June 2009. Montessori Education, Overview (n.d). In Wikipedia. Retrieved 13th December 2011 from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montessori_education Michael Olaf’s Essential Montessori Series: http://www.michaelolaf.net/ Dogme teaching (n.d). In Wikipedia. Retrieved 13th December 2011 from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogme_language_teaching Teaching Montessori, Montessori Organizations, Teacher-Training Courses, and Details of Montessori Teaching Methods: www.montessori.edu01/09/2012 Icha – Jelta conference
15. Thank YOU! Twitter : @yitzha_sarwono Email : firstname.lastname@example.org Blog : www.yitzhasarwono.posterous.com Class’ blog : www.k2-kideaharapanindah.blogspot.com Join us on iTDi www.itdi.pro/ Icha Sarwono01/09/2012 Icha – Jelta conference