1. I’m all ears... am I? by Teresa CarvalhoRio de Janeiro, Brazil
2. novelty focus attention learning
3. Everything that you remember and forget dependson attention. The less you pay attention, the less you’relikely to remember and learn.This might mean eliminating competing stimuli byshutting down peripheral channels. In other words, byunplugging the classroom. Adapted from Scott Thornbury’s Blog An A to Z of ELT http://scottthornbury.wordpress.com/2010/08/22/a-is-for-attention/
4. http://mimiandeunice.com/about/How can you make sure your students arelistening? During whole class activities one student speaks at a time.Before pair work or group activities tellstudents they will need to report what theirclassmates said at the end of the activity.
5. Make sure cell phones and electronic mobiles are off.Eye contact is important. Train your students to do that.Don’t be afraid of silence.Surprise your students: Dictate the instructions.Students can surprise each other: Ask them to insert aan awkward/a new word in their conversation. Theymust listen for these words and write them down.