• Hype Williams is an American music video and film
• The name Hype became his graffiti tag!
• Hype has created many music videos with massive
stars!! For example missy Elliot, notorious b.i.g,ll cool
J,Kelis and Jay z.
• Hype Williams had a writing partner called muse one
who helped him build his name in the industry and taught
him the ins and outs of the graffiti culture.
• Hype Williams has receive many awards one including
best director of the year in 1996 and the mtv award
• Slides 3,4 and 5 show examples of music videos that
hype Williams has designed. You will notice that some of
the music videos are very similar and set out in the same
way. You can see by all 3 slides that he uses darker
backgrounds to focus the audiences attention all on the
artist, he often uses lots of lighting and effects that
strobe around the artists.
• The colours Hype uses are very limited and he sticks to
a small colour palette but this is the image he is trying to
create and it works. He also has a lot of close ups in the
videos and the images are often distorted in the fish eye
• Hype Williams specialises in genres like hip hop and rnb
and has gone through all efforts to get his music videos
to be shown on mtv and become very popular and
• His work is mainstream music and the genre music is
likely to be played on the charts
• Hype Williams has his own individual signature style, he
tends not to use live performance just videos based
around the artist and a chreographised dance routine .
In some of his videos he splits the camera shots and
places one in the upper bar and one in the lower bars.
Most of his shots are centred on the artist with a solid
colour background with different coloured lights in the
background to create an illuminated effect on the artist to
make the artist stand out.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.