1. Exeter University GEW EventMonday 12th November 2012
2. Agenda• About me• Business West• Starting a Business Check List• Ready for Business Programme• Next Steps• Any Questions
3. About Me
4. About me• 20 years in the hotel & events industry – Director of Sales at a Heathrow Hotel – Set up a National Sales Centre for “Jockey Club Racecourses” – Ran my own consultancy business and event management company• Over 2 years working at Business West
5. Business West
6. Business West is the 4th largest Chamber of Commerce inEngland, employing over 180 staff with an annual turnover of £20m and delivering over 30 business services. We represent and work with over 16,000 businesses.
7. For more information on our services visit our website www.businesswest.co.uk
8. Starting aBusinessCheck List
9. Starting a Business What kind of Business should I start? How do I research my Business Idea? Writing a Business Plan How can I finance my Business? Prepare – Business Training, Skills & Support Getting the right people on board Naming my Business
10. Starting a Business Registering my Business Setting up Shop Marketing – website & social media Getting Suppliers and Distributors on board Get the nitty-gritty right Almost ready to start selling Start selling
11. 3 Key Areas
12. Business Plan01 Keep it simple, clear and concise include Marketing objectives and financial forecasts (including cashflow) Finance02 Get your finances in place from the start, as lending bodies will want to share the risk! Action03 Get on and do… don‟t over plan or complicate, learn as you do (make money as you learn!)
13. Ready forBusinessProgramme
14. •Individuals at threat of redundancy•Under 24’s (Graduates)
15. Why are we doing this?
16. Why are we doing this? More people than ever want to start a business 9.8% of working age adults in UK expect to start a business within the next 3 years. More people are having to consider business start-up due to changes in life and work – „necessity-based start-up‟ doubled between 2010 and 2011. But getting access to finance is a real blocker – it is frequently cited as by far the biggest barrier to people starting a business. And fear of failure is still strong: 41.4% of people who spot an opportunity say fear holds them back. Source: Global Entrepreneurship Monitor, United Kingdom 2011 Monitoring Report
17. Why might thismatter to you?
18. Why might this matter to you? Around half of all this years graduates will struggle to find full-time jobs If current employment trends continue Entrepreneurship & Innovation Could you be the next Steve Jobs or Alan Sugar? Utilise the support organisations to make this a reality. Ready for Business are start-up specialists, and we can help for FREE! Our workshops help you to understand if your idea can become a commercial venture.
19. How does it work ?
20. 3 ways to get started
21. 01 Attend a workshop Tuesday 13th November 2012 Tuesday 11th December 2012 10.00am – 4.00pm Barclays Bank, 3 Bedford Street. Exeter Cost: Free of charge
22. 02 Speak to one of our Advisors We are happy to discuss your business idea and signpost you to relevant support partners. (all conversations will be confidential)
23. 03 Support in getting Funding We are working with the Start-up Loan Scheme (support for under 24‟s) We can help you get a loan to start your business
24. Main benefits
25. 01 Free to start and no obligation to continue02 National movement, with networking opportunities03 Improved chances of getting bank funding to start up
26. 04 Personal, tailored support through first year of business to improve chances of success05 Fast-Track to further business support programmes like Starting a High Growth Business and UK Trade & Investments Passport to Export06 A FREE years membership of Business West – tapping you into our network of members
27. What next
28. Contact the team Book yourself onto a FREE Workshop See if self-employment is for you Get advice Speak to one of our advisors and see what steps are best for you Seeking Funding? We can evaluate your position and get you access to banks and programmes available to you
29. Tara GillamProject Manager – South West DeliveryT. 01275 376 233E. email@example.comW. www.businesswest.co.uk/readyfor business www.startupedge.co.uk