Scripting Layer for Android (SL4A)
● A common misconception about developing for the
Google Android platform is that you have to write your
code in the Java language
● The truth is, you actually have a multitude of options
through the Scripting Layer for Android (SL4A) project.
● SL4A provides a platform for several scripting
languages, including Beanshell, Lua, Perl, Python, and
● Prerequisites :
Full Java Development Kit (JDK).
Android software development kit (SDK).
● Installing SL4A on an Android
device is similar to the process
for any other Android application.
You can scan the QR code on
the main SL4A project site with
your device to download the
SL4A installation file
Install the Python interpreter
● In phone /emulator enter
sl4a download in the
browser's search box
● Clicking the
link starts the download.
Python for Android initial installation screen
● Clicking Install launches a
process that downloads and
unpacks several .zip files.
Python for Android primary installation
● You should see three separate
progress windows. The first
shows the download, and then
the extraction of the files onto
the SD card. If everything
works, an "Installation