Android is a mobile operating system
initially developed by Android Inc., a
firm purchased by Google in 2005.
• Android is based upon a modified version of
the Linux kernel.
• Is a participant in the Open Handset Alliance
• Android OS smartphones ranked first among all
smartphone OS handsets sold in the U.S. in the
second and third quarter of 2010.
Android is based on an open source
license and competes against mobile
platforms from Apple, Microsoft,
Nokia and Symbian.
• Android has a large community of developers
writing application programs ("apps") that
extend the functionality of the devices. There
are currently over 100,000 apps available for
Android, which makes it the second most
popular mobile development environment.
• In February 2010 ComScore ranked the Android
platform as obtaining a 9.0% of the smartphone
platform marketshare. This figure was up from
an earlier estimate of 5.2% stated in November
• In July 2010 ComScore revised Android's share
for 3 months March/April/May 2010 to 13.0%,
an increase of 4 percentage points, 0.2
percentage points behind Microsoft whose
share had dropped 1.9%.