Chapter Two: Colonizing America
1. What was the name of the movement in which many people broke away
from the Catholic Church?
2. Who led this movement?
3. What was the name of the church that King Henry VIII started?
4. Why did he start this church?
5. Who were the Puritans?
6. What are joint-stock companies?
7. Who requested a charter to start an English settlement in America?
8. What was the name of this settlement?
9. What happened to this settlement? What is it sometimes called?
10. What was the name of the first permanent English settlement in
11. What was the name of the joint stock company that sponsored this
12. What did Captain John smith do to help the colony survive?
13. What crop saved the new colony?
14. What was the name of the first representative assembly or
government in America?
15. Who founded the Maryland?
16. Why was Maryland founded?
17. What is a proprietor colony?