Graduation Exam Ch. 4 TestDirections: Choose the correct answer for each of the following questions. 1. What was the name of the idea that the United States should extend its territory from the Atlantic to the Pacific Ocean? a. Manifest Destiny b. Monroe Doctrine c. Missouri Compromise d. 3/5 Compromise 2. Andrew Jackson was known for giving his friend and supporters government jobs. This practices is known as a. Spoils System b. Helping out friends c. Nullification d. Jacksonian Democracy 3. What action doubled the size of the U.S. in 1803? a. Missouri Compromise b. Northwest Ordinance c. Louisiana Purchase d. Land Ordinance of 1785 4. What famous meeting called for women to demand greater equality and opportunity in the United States? a. Second Great Awakening b. The Liberator c. Seneca Falls Convention d. Niagara Falls Convention 5. What country did Texas gain its independence from? a. Mexico b. Britain c. Spain d. France 6. What was the forced march called that resulted in the Cherokees marching from Georgia to Oklahoma in 1838? a. Trail of Tears b. Oregon Trail c. Santa Fe Trail d. Mormon Trail
7. What is the name of the document that states the United States would oppose any European intervention in the affairs of independent countries in the Americas and that any European intervention would be viewed as an unfriendly act? a. America System b. Monroe Doctrine c. Doctrine of Nullification d. Internal Improvements 8. Which of the following advocated the public education of both men and women? a. Ralph Waldo Emerson b. James Monroe c. Henry Clay d. Horace Mann 9. What white abolitionist from Massachusetts produced The Liberator? a. Lucretia Mott b. Frederick Douglas c. William Lloyd Garrison d. John Brown10. The purpose of the Northwest Ordinance was to a. Encourage farmers to grow certain types of crops b. Limit the number of settlers in the Northwest Territory c. Establish schools in the Northwest Territory d. Establish a process for western territories to become states 11. Among the reasons for Thomas Jefferson purchasing the Louisiana Territory from France was to a. Gain land east of the Mississippi River b. Gain control of shipping c. Give control of the Mississippi River to France d. Plan for Lewis and Clark’s expedition of new territories
12. Study the list below. • Webster • Hawthorne • Poe • Dickinson These people are known for their a. art work b. political speeches c. literary works d. political campaigns13. What was the result of the Mexican-American War? a. Mexico retained Texas from the United States b. General Santa Anna defeated Stephen Austin at the battle of San Jacinto c. Mexico gave up half its land and sold the territories of California and New Mexico to the United States. d. Slaves in Texas were freed.14. The 19th Amendment to the Constitution a. abolished slavery and all “involuntary servitude” in the United States. b. extended the rights of citizenship to “all persons born or naturalized” in the United States, with the intent of extending citizenship to freed slaves. c. prohibited the United States or any of its states from denying the right to vote to any citizen “on account of sex,” thereby extending voting rights to women. d. prohibited any state from denying any citizen the right to vote “on account of race, color or previous condition of servitude.”15. 1819 is an important year in Alabama history because a. That is the year that Alabama seceded from the Union. b. Alabama became a state. c. The Populist Party was established in Alabama. d. Cherokee Indians were removed from the state.
16. Study the map below. This map BEST illustrates the belief of a. Judicial Review b. Louisiana Purchase c. Manifest Destiny d. Nationalism17. The American Revolution was ended by the a. Signing of the Treaty of Paris 1763 b. Signing of the Treaty of Paris 1783 c. Olive Branch Petition d. Missouri Compromise18. Study the list below. • Land Ordinance of 1785 • Horace Mann • Normal Schools These items are MOST associated with a. Abolitionism b. Temperance c. Education d. Voting
19. The purpose of the Northwest Ordinance was to a. Encourage farmers to grow certain types of crops b. Limit the number of settlers in the Northwest Territory c. Establish schools in the Northwest Territory d. Establish a process for western territories to become states20. Among the reasons for Thomas Jefferson purchasing the Louisiana Territory from France was to a. Gain land east of the Mississippi River b. Gain control of shipping c. Give control of the Mississippi River to France d. Plan for Lewis and Clark’s expedition of new territories21. Read the quote below. "In May 1838, I witnessed the execution of the most brutal order in the History of American Warfare. I saw helpless Cherokees arrested and dragged from their homes...I saw them loaded like cattle or sheep into six hundred forty-five wagons and started toward the west...When the bugle sounded and the wagons started rolling many of the children rose to their feet and waved their little hands good-bye to their mountain homes, knowing they were leaving them forever. Many of these helpless people did not have blankets and many of them had been driven from home barefooted...." This quote BEST describes the a. election of Andrew Jackson b. Trail of Tears c. Land Rush d. Cherokee Flight22. A gold-rush in the late 1840s causes thousands of people to move to present-day a. Oregon b. Oklahoma c. Arkansas d. California
23. Use the map below and your own knowledge to answer Number 10. Which statement BEST describes the map above? a. the results of the American Revolution b. the results of the Louisiana Purchase c. the results of the Gold Rush d. the results of the Mexican War24. Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony are known for their work to support a. Abolitionist reform b. Women’s rights c. Westward expansion d. Alcohol abuse25. Which of the following is the BEST example of the “spoils system”? a. Mr. Jones is elected governor and interviews candidates for a director’s position. b. Mr. Jones is elected governor and must accept the lieutenant governor that the voters elect. c. Mr. Jones becomes governor after the governor passes away. d. Mr. Jones hires his brother-in-law to become the state’s economic director.