2. Library Citations:terminology of a book, article or elements websiteLibraryTerms Abstract:Library Summary of an articleTerminology Call Number:library Address of the bookterminology
3. Start with a Research TopicWhat kinds of information do you need? Identify Keywords and Synonyms
4. Translate your topic into scholarly language Proletariat How was Marxism Marxism Castrointerpreted in Cuba Latin America Interpretations theory
5. CubaConcept A Castro Latin America MarxismConcept B Marxist Marx Communism Socialism
6. Types of Articles Empirical articlesArticlesContain primary data from a studySerials performed by professionals in a field/disciplinearticles Popular articles Articles that do not contain original dataarticles usually take the form of magazine articles.journals Can sometimes include opinion.magazines Informative articles Articles that provide information inARTICLES concise objective formats usually newspaper articles
7. booksReference Booksmonographs Dictionaries encyclopedias, statistical books anything that canencyclopedias get you started on almost all topics Primary BooksREFERENCE written DURING Books that wereBOOKS the time an event was occurring. e.g. diaries, government documents and moreMONOGRAPHSbooks Secondary Books Books that have been writtenbooks AFTER an event or time period
8. Narrows a search Both terms appear in same recordAND Terms have different meanings example: infidelity AND culture Broadens a search Either term may appear in recordOR Terms have similar meanings example: adultery OR cheating
9. Can look for multiple endings of a word or pluralsasterisk Marx* Marx, Marxism, Marxist Allows you to specify how close you want your terms to appear in the recordProximity Fidel w1 Castro
10. Keywords Searches: title, abstract,Default fields subjects and in some cases the full text of the record Subject Searches: only the subjectDescriptor line-This makes your searches more specific and better defined
11. Selecting the right sourceFor Articles:Database by topic pageUse references from textbooks or other articles For Books: COAST Link +
12. If the record isn’t full text Click on Get@CSULB to determine availability
13. Get it @CSULB box pops up
14. ArticleReach makes getting an article as simple as saying, "I want it!"
15. Citing sources In-text citations References Footnotes All source typesOWL Purdue Writing GuidesThis page provides links to a variety of onlineexamples of citing in both MLA and APA styles
16. Get a Library PasswordGo to Coasthttps://coast.library.csulb.edu/patroninfoType in your name, CSULB I.D. #, and a Password of your choiceConfirm Password by typing it twice moreIf the screen shows your name- it worked! If you forgot your password call: 562 985-5512 and get it erased so you can create a new one!
17. ILLIAD- interlibrary services If We Don’t Own It Takes 7-10 days Electronic Delivery! For journal articles & books Library password required
18. Become a Fan of the Library on Facebook! Dennis Dyck @DennisDyck on Twitter Like Us NOW!