1. Sociology 355 Research MethodsCommunication Studies Librarian
2. What kinds ofinformation do you need?
3. Write down terms that relate to your subjects Remember synonymsDetermine vocabulary thatmay be used in a database
4. 5 ways to tell it’s anpublications Empirical Article 10-15 pages long Published in an academic journal Contains words like: data, participants, results, methodology, discussion, further research 20-46 References Written by academics or researchers
5. Narrows a search Both terms appear in same recordAND Terms have different meanings example: infidelity AND culture Broadens a search Either term may appear in recordOR Terms have similar meanings example: adultery OR cheating
6. Can look for multiple endings of a word or pluralsasterisk measure* measure measures Allows you to specify how close you want your terms to appear in the record ProximityPhrase Searching online w4 interaction within 4 words “online interaction”
7. Punk rock music and social protestSingle parents and academic achievement Football hooligans and social class
8. Getting the ArticleFull Text HTMLArticleReach
9. If the record isn’t full text Click on Get@CSULB to determine availability
10. Get it @CSULB box pops up
11. makes getting an article as simple as saying, "I want it!"
12. Does the source: Meet the requirements of your assignment? Help you answer your research question? Include relevant information for your topic?
13. Citing sources karen_yim Instagram Image by Books Articles In-text citations Book Chapters Web SitesOWL Purdue Writing Guides: ASA StyleThis page provides links to a variety of onlineexamples of citing.
14. Get a Library PasswordGo to Coast https://coast.library.csul b.edu/patroninfoType in your name, CSULB I.D. #, and a Password of your choiceConfirm Password by typing it twice moreIf the screen shows your name- it worked! If you forgot your password call: 562 985-5512 and get it erased so you can create a new one!
15. Become a Fan of the Library on Facebook! Dennis Dyck @DennisDyck on Twitter Like Us NOW!