1. Race, Gender & Class Sociology 346 The many faces of the black womanhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/thomashawk/4819100113/
2. Start with your topic Create a research question Select key terms that describe your topic Think of synonyms and related terms or information sources you can use for searching
3. Narrows a search Both terms appear in same recordAND Terms have different meanings example: gender AND communication Broadens a search Either term may appear in recordOR Terms have similar meanings example: women OR woman
4. Can look for multiple endings of a word or pluralsasterisk rhetor* rhetoric, rhetorical Allows you to specify how close you want your terms to appear in the recordProximity online w interaction online W1 interaction “online interaction”
5. Databases upon your topic, there may be some areas of Depending by Topic research that are better than others Sociology Gender Studies Ethnic Studies Psychology History Statistics Communication Studieshttp://www.ferris.edu/htmls/news/jimcrow/mulatto/more/angelo3.jpg
6. Finding FullText articles in most databases
7. If the record isn’t full text Click on Get it @ CSULB or SFX to determine availability
8. SFX box pops up “online via”indicates the item is full text on the computer
9. Click link for “Check availability in COAST” Determine where your volume is located Get it from ORCA or Off the shelf
10. SFX Box: NO electronic or print If there is no full text available at CSULB, the option for getting the article for free from the
11. ArticleReach makes getting an article as simple as saying, "I want it!"
12. Citing with EBSCOHOST Click here to get the APA Citation formatted
13. Citing with EBSCOHOST
14. Now that you found thearticle what doyou do with it?
15. Citing sources YouTube Videos Books Articles Book Chapters In-text citationsOWL Purdue Style GuidesThis page provides links to a variety ofonline examples of citing in both MLA andAPA styles
16. Get a Library Password Allows you to access databases from home Renew books Request interlibrary loan If you forgot your password call: 562 985-5512 and get it erased so you can create a new one!
17. Tiffini Travis firstname.lastname@example.orgCheck the Sociology course guide for office hours!!!DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES CALL- EMAIL ONLY!!!!