2. ELECTRICITY CRISES IN PAKISTAN Causes And Solution By Toheed Ahmad SP09-MBA-099 Zeeshan Ahmad SP09-MBA-094
3. <ul><li>Energy Crisis in Pakistan </li></ul><ul><li>Pakistan is facing the serious Energy Crisis at this time. Pakistan as third world developing country affected a lot by this Energy Crisis in the world. The major issue is electric crisis, which is now known in the people as load shedding. Pakistan small manufacturing markets are worst affected by the rise of energy prices. </li></ul>
4. <ul><li>Manufacturing industries utilize at least 33% production cost in terms of energy prices. An increase of energy cost will affect their production cost and will force the manufacturers that to reduce the labor cost .our cottage industry is on his last breaths. Our most important industry “textile industry” is in trouble. </li></ul>
5. <ul><li>Power looms are going to be closed. Not only is our industrial sector is suffering but also peoples are passing sleepless nights and useless job timings. Peoples have to face 12 to 18 hours load shedding. </li></ul>
6. <ul><li>They are being dismissing from their jobs. Investors do not want to stay in Pakistan. </li></ul><ul><li>Businessmen are disappointed according to them they have lost customer. </li></ul>
7. Causes of Energy Crisis in Pakistan In Pakistan, the causes of Energy Crisis or Electric Crisis are that, <ul><li>No water in dams: </li></ul><ul><li>We have low water levels in our dams, which is the source hydroelectric power. India stops our river water. India has constructed baglehar dam on river chenab by which our water level is decreasing. Recently 12 units from the terbaila dams closed due to low water level. </li></ul>
8. AGING OF GENERATION EQUIPMENTS: Another cause is the aging of the generating equipment, which could not develop the electricity as per the design requirement.
9. INCREASING COST OF FUEL: The cost of fuel has increased. It means the generation from thermal units are costing exorbitant price. WAPDA and KESC when purchasing electricity on higher cost are not eager to keep on selling the electricity on loss. Therefore they do not move on general complain of load shedding.
10. <ul><li>INABILITY OF WAPDA AND KESC: </li></ul><ul><li> Wapda and KESC are two generation and dispatch units in Pakistan. It is fact that they have poor service and are not able to complete with energy requirement. Private sector should be given chance and should be allowed to install power plant and settle the electricity to consumers. </li></ul>
11. <ul><li>To overcome this shortage We are here going to present some suggestions and Government efforts </li></ul>Solution
12. <ul><li>Solar Energy </li></ul><ul><li>Solar energy is energy derived from the sun in a form of ultra-violet rays. Pakistan has the great gift of God “sun light”. It should be installed in hottest areas of Pakistan like sibi, jacobabad. It should also be installed on town levels in Karachi where there is much shortage of Electricity. Cottage industry and power looms can be run on this energy. </li></ul>
13. <ul><li>Ocean as a source of Energy </li></ul><ul><li>The water at the surface of an ocean gets heated by the heat of the sun and attains a higher temperature than the colder water at deeper levels in the ocean. So, there is always a temperature difference between the water "at the surface of ocean" and "at deeper levels." At many places in the ocean, this difference in temperatures of water is up to 20oC. The energy available due to the difference in the temperature of water at the surface of the ocean and at deeper levels is called ocean thermal energy (OTE). The ocean thermal energy can be converted into "usable form" of energy like electricity. It could be beneficial in future for Pakistan. Industries on Indus delta can use this energy. </li></ul>
15. <ul><li>Hydel Energy </li></ul><ul><li>Water flowing in the rivers has kinetic energy, which is used to drive the turbine and produce electricity the power generated as Hydel Energy. Dams and run of river projects are known, as source. This is the cheapest source of electricity and is used as major source of electricity in Pakistan. Although we cannot build, big dams but we should construct the small dams for Industrial sector. It is necessary because of the Indus basin treaty violence by India. </li></ul>
16. <ul><li>Nuclear Energy </li></ul><ul><li>Energy is produced by emission of radiation from the nucleus of atom. Pakistan is in need of energy very badly and urgently. Pakistan should look for nuclear energy possibilities. Pakistan is one of seven countries in the world who has an indigenous capability to operate the nuclear power plant for last forty years. Government should work on the development on this source. </li></ul>
17. <ul><li>Wind Energy </li></ul><ul><li>The power, which is produce through the energy in wind s, is called wind energy. Pakistan is blessed with a large resource of wind corridor. According to wind energy map of Pakistan a strong wind corridor is found at Sindh coastal areas. Government should pay attention in this resource. Many projects are in progress but we need to take full benefits by this resource . </li></ul>
18. Conclusion <ul><li>We all know that our country is in critical condition and we are looking for international aid. Therefore, it is not easily possible for us to start any of these projects. There is only one way. A saying is “nothing endures but change.” Heraclites (540 BC - 480 BC). If we want to get rid off this crisis, we have to change our life style. We should definitely learn saving of energy. The unnecessary use of energy should be stopped. Unfortunately, we are adopting the luxurious life style. We should lead a simple life. In last 10 years, not a singles MW was added. Blame games, seminars, conferences, and events on energy issues in Pakistan are not necessary as compare to do some thing practical. </li></ul>