• X is a phrase which alludes to the dreamsexperienced by smokers of opium pipes. Opiateswere widely used by the English literati in the18th and 19th centuries. Y was one of the bestknown users, and it would be difficult to claimthat the imagery in surreal works like Kubla Khanowed nothing to opium. ‘An albatross aroundone’s neck’ is also a phrase that has been takenfrom Y’s works.Identify X and Y.
• “And Im standing on the edge of some crazy cliff.What I have to do, I have to catch everybody ifthey start to go over the cliff - I mean if theyrerunning and they dont look where theyre going Ihave to come out from somewhere and catchthem. Thats all I do all day. Id just be____________ and all.”The part blanked out is also the name of thenovel this quote has been taken from. Name it.
• The pen name of this author means “the secondmark on the line that measured depth signifiedtwo fathoms, or twelve feet—safe depth for thesteamboat” and famously, his life was punctuatedby the passing of the Halley’s Comet. In addition,he was also the first author to submit a typedmanuscript to a publisher.Who is the author?
• Southern American poet, novelist and literarycritic Robert Penn Warren wrote "All theKings Men" in 1946. The novel won the 1947Pulitzer Prize for Fiction. In fact, he is the onlyperson to have won Pulitzer Prizes for bothfiction and poetry. On what is the books titlebased?
Whose name is blacked out? When asked to sum up hiswork, he said his central doctrine was "the infinitude of theprivate man." And he is also well known as the friend andmentor of fellow Transcendentalist Henry David Thoreau(whose name is also engraved).
• Noel Coward wrote his play _______ in sevendays, staying in a hotel room in Wales after hisown London apartment and office weredestroyed in the Blitz. The title is from a famouspoem by P.B. Shelley whose verses are:"Hail to thee, _______! Bird thou never wert,That from heaven, or near it; Pourest thy fullheart;"• Name the play.
• The name of this novel has been taken fromthe Shakespearean play, The Tempest and inthe novel’s dystopic world, people are dividedinto castes named after the Greek alphabet.The book was banned in India in 1967 withthe author being accused of being a"pornographer."Name the book and author.
• "The Grapes Of Wrath"- Battle Hymn of TheRepublic• "Of Mice And Men" - The Iliad• "East Of Eden" - The Bible• "The Winter of our Discontent" –‘Shakespeare’Which is incorrectly matched? Who is theauthor of these works?
• "Nine Tomorrows", published in the US in1959 and the UK in 1963, features nine shortstories and two pieces of comic verse writtenby this pioneering science-fiction author overthe course of 1956 to 1958. Two of hisfavourite stories, "The Last Question" and"The Ugly Little Boy" are featured in the book.Who is he?
• “He sat by John Thornton’s fire, abroadbreasted dog, white-fanged and long-furred; but behind him were the shades of allmanner of dogs, half-wolves and wild wolves,urgent and prompting, tasting the savor of themeat he ate, thirsting for the water he drank,scenting the wind with him, listening with himand telling him the sounds made by the wildlife in the forest, dictating his moods, directinghis actions, lying down to sleep with himwhen he lay down, and dreaming with himand beyond him and becoming themselvesthe stuff of his dreams.”
• The paragraph before has been taken from afamous work by Jack London. Name it. Alsoname the other work by Jack London which isconsidered the thematic mirror (or opposite)of the one from which this quote is taken.
• I feel certain that I am going mad again. I feel we cantgo through another of those terrible times. And I shantrecover this time. I begin to hear voices, and I cantconcentrate. So I am doing what seems the best thingto do. You have given me the greatest possiblehappiness. You have been in every way all that anyonecould be. I dont think two people could have beenhappier til this terrible disease came. I cant fight anylonger. I know that I am spoiling your life, that withoutme you could work. And you will I know. You see I canteven write this properly. I cant read. What I want tosay is I owe all the happiness of my life to you. Youhave been entirely patient with me and incrediblygood. I want to say that — everybody knows it. Ifanybody could have saved me it would have been you.Everything has gone from me but the certainty of yourgoodness. I cant go on spoiling your life any longer. Idont think two people could have been happier thanwe have been. V.
• The aforementioned was the suicide note by afamous author to her husband, Leonard,before she drowned herself. She was also themember of a group of intellectuals whichshares its name with a very famous publishinghouse.Name the author and the publishing house.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.