1. Bookmarks 2012Entry: Greatest contribution to Digital in SA
2. Quirk – Our contribution to digital in South AfricaOur focus has, at all times, been towards the improvement of the industry as awhole. Making up this commitment are a number of touch points, each pivotal inwhat has been our contribution to digital.• Our textbook now on it’s 4th edition, devised and written by us, populates over 450 higher education institutions’ reading lists, internationally.• Our merger with Red & Yellow will help the industry bridge the gap between digital and traditional marketing.• We educate our people through a University of Quirk concept involving prominent industry minds.• Our grad programme consistently produces competent industry ready professionals who ultimately spur the forward motion of the digital industry.• Our TCEO methodology provides a blue print applicable to any industry business and marketing challenge.• Through our Quirk Labs we’re constantly filling niches with businesses that offer unique services.It is for these reasons that we feel our contribution to digital deserves significantattention.
3. Quirk’s Contribution tothe Digital Industry in SA
4. As we’ve grown, so has our knowledge and skill base. Naturally, the next progressionoccurred in the sharing of that knowledge, and the dissemination of those skills.Quirk Education, then, was born and is the embodiment of our curious minds.Within that division we offer training in all major online marketing disciplines,spreading the digital gospel.Quirk Education specialises in the synthesis of experience intop knowledge,converting it into practical learning for marketers and entrepreneurs. Knowledge andpractical application are delivered in the form of textbooks, online courses andworkshops, overseen by some of our own illustrious Quirkstars, leaders in thoughtand accredited professionals. Quirk Educations teaching material is recognised asthe latest available knowledge from a new and evolving field. Quirk Education hasbeen a vital cog in the thought-machine we’ve started to a grow; a machine that willsoon power the industry.
5. Testimonials about Quirk Education:"The course content is fantastic! I found it exciting and very informative! I wasimpressed with the feedback given – in fact didn’t expect any. So here I was mostimpressed! Thank you".Rene May, Online Sales and PR Manager at Diemersfontein Wine & CountryEstate"I have taken over 15 Masters level online courses, and the communication andtimeliness of the Quirk staff in responding to questions and fostering dialogue onthe forum is the best I have encountered. Well done! I have been very impressedby the quality of the course content, delivery method, feedback, and staff!"Matthew Erickson, Conference Manager at the University of California,Santa Barbara"All in all, I loved the way the course was put together. The class participation bitwas well thought out. The use of video, is great & I would recommend this courseto anyone hoping to learn the basics of eMarketing".Adiel Slarmie, Online Marketing Executive, Allan Gray
6. Quirk TextbookA point of immense pride, our shining contribution, so far,to the industry and a highlight of our journey, has beenmanifest in hardcopy for quite some time.In addition to a peerless online learning platform andsyllabus, Quirk Education offers the famed digitalmarketing text book: eMarketing: the essential guide todigital marketing. Free for download under the CreativeCommons license, our textbook is in use in some 400universities and colleges around the world.We want our knowledge platform to be open to likewisecurious minds around the world, bringing together acommunity of passionate people who want to do greatwork and break new barriers, and the best part? Ourtextbook is devised, owned and contributed to by theillustrious minds at Quirk.
7. Bravery and curiosity meet logic and magic – an exquisite match. Quirk Educationrecently merged with the prestigious Red & Yellow school, taking their passion foreducation to the next level. An institution with the same essential ethos as Quirk, the aimis to combine the brightest minds in the traditional and digital spheres, establishing awonderful melting pot of individuals ready to define a new era in advertising.This was the logical ‘next step’ and with it, we will bridge the gap between traditional anddigital advertising. By engaging with future industry players at grassroots level, we willinstil a tradition/digital formula that will soon start to permeate and grow into what wehope will be the blueprint for the agency of the future.The merger serves as step one to moulding the industrys future. With it we now dedicateeverything we do to developing a new generation of brave, curious minds, intent onbreaking new ground.
8. Our Graduate ProgrammeAnother immense point of pride, our graduate programme is one that has establisheditself as a crucial starting point for those wanting to get into the marketing industry.Each of our agencies takes on 2 new graduates every month on a 12 monthprogramme. The graduates spend the first 6 months at the Intern Station getting to knowour people, our clients and digital as a whole. The second 6 months is as an apprenticein one or more of our disciplines .During the programme apart from working on real client projects, a graduate mustcomplete 4 different courses through Quirk Education as well as two projects; a researchproject and a business project. Many leaders at Quirk started their careers in the humbleintern station.The programme is somewhat gruelling and has been know to produce outstanding,industry-worthy people. Having said that, we have to live with the fact that our grads,then, become highly poachable. But we do live with it, because we are constantly securein the knowledge that from our hallowed halls, emerge people that will contribute to, andimprove the industry, wherever they end up.
9. University of QuirkAt Quirk, we celebrate our curious minds with weekly University of Quirk (UoQ)lectures. These are one hour sessions set aside every Friday afternoon whereQuirkStars get the opportunity to stimulate their grey matter with presentations fromsome of South Africas top minds.From the biggest online influencers to tech heavyweights to academic luminaries, UoQsessions afford us the opportunity to gain fresh insight and understanding.We believe that knowledge is a tool to be pooled for communal progress; UoQ helpsus add depth to that pool of knowledge and keep pushing the boundaries of whatspossible.In the educating of our people, we know that immense benefit comes in the passingdown of knowledge. Our speakers benefit, too, from engaging with our people. Thesesessions, then, become symbiotic, and what occurs is a crucible in which industryknowledge can converge, where the melting point is a broadened scope for all,immensely benefitting the industry as a whole through this valuable insight provided.
10. ClientLoveOur journey as an agency has been one based on growing client relationships. Successfulrelationships between client and agency make brands truly great – build trust and youhave the environment for creativity from which the best results will flow.Born out of the need to essentially codify every point of engagement with our clients, ourclient service model is built on the concept of ClientLove – this is a notion that serves toinculcate partnerships and deep strategic insights, and is measured by quarterly ClientSatisfaction Surveys.We have a healthy mix of business savvy, digital natives and brand custodians who workclosely with our TCEO teams and our clients to ensure transparent process and ruthlesshonesty.ClientLove is an innovation that serves as reminder of the fact that our clients trust us, andthat is vital to our continual contribution to the industry as an organisation producing greatwork.
11. QuirkLabsThe growth we’ve experienced in our digital journey to now has allowed us tobranch out to many other areas industry-wide, where we’ve built, throughinnovation and thought, a number of businesses from within Quirk.With these, industry niches are identified, and further filled in order to broadenthe Quirk service base and, as each of these businesses grow independently,digital marketing ultimately benefits from what are usually the first industryservice providers of their kind.
12. TCEOOne contributing factor to our success so far, may primarily be attributed to a specificset of elements, a ‘secret sauce’, if you will. Unlike many agencies, our model is built-for-purpose.This is applied to everything we do and deeply ingrained within every Quirk process.It’s a business design, a way to approach any marketing or business challenge.These disciplines work closely together throughout every project, ensuring learningand results, and even though they’re internal process to how we approach everybusiness impact point, we share these methods, almost as a masthead to ourbusiness. This approach, we feel, betters the industry with a window into the inner-workings of what makes an agency grow and progress.
14. THINK delivers broad-based brand strategy for a digital world: consumer insights,research and planning.CREATE is the discipline that generates concepts and executes sophisticatedcampaigns and platforms, almost entirely in-house. We create anything, from brandidentities, to web design and development, conceptual copy writing, campaignmicrosites, mobile development and deep business systems to social mediaintegration.ENGAGE is responsible for driving traffic and building relationships. A diverse area ofexpertise from media buying and planning, search engine optimisation, CRM, emailmarketing, social media and campaign management.OPTIMISE drives our insights and discoveries through analytics and data mining,conversion optimisation and user experience design and testing.
15. Quirk’s Continued Commitment to the DMMAAlong with significant overall industry contribution, we continually lend our time andcommitment to the support and growth of the DMMA. Our support has manifested as thefollowing:• Assistance on the Bookmarks provided by Suzanne Little and Rob Stokes• Bookmarks media planning provided by Andre Britz• User experience provided for the DMMA newsletter, provided by Marc Coppin• The hosting of DMMA events, including the DMMA Blogger Debate• Quirk Education has represented the DMMA at the MarkEx event - setting up and manning the stand• Quirk Education helped drive the textbook campaign to give earlier editions of the Quirk Education textbook back to students that would not otherwise have a copy• Every year, our graduate interns help plan the Bookmarks Award Ceremony and assistance in vetting the awards.
16. More about QuirkQuirk is a marketing agency.Born digital, driven by creativity and disciplined by results.Founded in 1999 and with an international footprint, we deliver marketing solutions forbusinesses and brands that seek to engage with connected audiences.We are now the largest independent digital agency in South Africa, and the fourth largestagency in South Africa.Nearly 200 QuirkStars in South Africa now power our proceedings. All experts in theirrespective fields.We currently manage a myriad of key clients and continually gain new business interestthrough our innovative procedures and incomparable quality of work.
17. Some of our clients
18. In SummaryThe last year has seen Quirk’s brave, curious minds flourish.We’ve watched the reach of our textbook increase massively, and with our ground-breaking merger with the Red & Yellow School, we’re steadily working toward ourgoal of bridging the gap between digital and traditional marketing. With this move,we hope to combine the best of traditional and digital education to produce a newgeneration of talent that will be industry ready from the day they graduate.In addition, we’ve now reached a pinnacle in establishing our tradition of growingeducation within the industry; a point that is reinforced with the larger audienceswe’ve reached through our Quirk Education courses and weekly University of Quirksessions.It is for these reasons that we feel our contribution to digital deserves significantattention.