2. Plagiarism is worse in the electronic world because of….Information overloadEase of cutting and pasting chunks fromthe internetUnreliable quantity of information oninternetDifficulty in summarising and synthesisinglarge quantities of information
3. Plagiarism is….Using the words or ideas of others and presenting them as your own.It can range from deliberate cheating toaccidentally copying from a source without acknowledgement.
4. Common forms of plagiarism Downloading an essay from an online source and submitting it as your own workSome cheat sites are……A-1 Term Papers, Cheater.com, Free Essay Network, The Evil House of Cheat, Researchpaper.com, School Sucks, Term- Papers.us and The Paper Store
5. Common forms (con’t)Buying, stealing or borrowing anassignment and submitting it as own workCopying parts of books or articles andsubmitting as own work’Copying, cutting and pasting text fromelectronic sources and submitting as ownworkUsing the words of someone else andpresenting them as own work
6. How can we prevent plagiarism?The following are good sites to understand what is plagiarism Avoiding plagiarism http://www.lc.unsw.edu.au/onlib/plag.html (this one has a quiz) Plagiarism: what it is and how to recognize and avoid it http://www.indiana.edu/~wts/pamphlets/plagiarism.shtml
7. To avoid plagiarism you need to….. Make notes in point form Cite paraphrases and quotes correctly Create bibliographies according to accepted formats. More of this later….
8. Plagiarism may be suspected by your teacher if there is….Turnitin says soUnique phrases are located using large searchengines like GoogleUse of advanced vocabulary, sentence structureor jargonUnusual formatting or it does not match what isrequiredSigns of website printout page numbers or dates,unusual use of upper/lower case andcapitalizationBibliography: ? incorrect citation style usedThe essay is found by browsing websitesproviding readymade papers
9. So remember to….. Make notes in point form Put in quotations everything that comes directly from the text Paraphrase, but do not just replace or rearrange a few words (remember to cite) You do not need to document common knowledge. These are facts that are found in many places and known by many people eg. Melbourne is the capital of Victoria. A rule of thumb is that if you do not need to look something up, it is common knowledge. Do your bibliography and make sure that it is linked to citations within your essayTIP: do not leave doing your bibliography until the last minute – record as you go, especially if you are using internet sites
10. Citation stylesAuthor/date v’s footnoteWhat is the difference?
11. Author dateFormerly known as HarvardIn its place use ChicagoOthers are: APA and MLA2 step process
12. An example looks like this….. In body of essay:• ….“Students need to take note of the examiner’s report”(Cox and Wilson 2012) * can include page nos. if you want to be specific Bibliography at end of essay: Cox, C. and J. Wilson. 2012. Surviving the IB Melbourne: Penguin. Alphabetical listing of references by primary author’s surname regardless of type: book, website etc.
13. Notational or documentary note styles• Examples include: Footnote (which covers Oxford and Cambridge)• Vancouver• 3 step process• Very popular when writing literature and history essays
14. An example looks like this……In body of essay:•“…. Students need to take note of the examiner’s report”. ¹At the bottom of the same page:•1. Cate Cox and Jan Wilson. Surviving the VCE.(Melbourne:Penguin, 2012), 23.Bibliography at the end of essay:•Cox, Cate and Jan Wilson. Surviving the VCE. Melbourne:Penguin, 2012.•Alphabetical listing of references by primary author’ssurname regardless of type: book, website etc.
15. Best websites Murdoch University has a very comprehensive website to do with referencing• http://library.murdoch.edu.au/Getting- help/Referencing/• Monash University is also very good• http://lib.monash.edu/tutorials/citing/• Select the style you want and follow the examples• Referencing handouts in the CRC
16. Other sourcesR 808.027 STY: Style manual for authors,editors and printers – Australiangovernment publicationBibme http://www.bibme.org/ : free onlinecitation maker * only does the referencelist at the end of the essay
17. ….a word about Word 2010Word 2010 has the capacity to create abibliography list for you under theReferences tab.BUT : this works for author date styles butnot so well for ‘footnote styles”.
18. A tip to make your life easierRecord bibliographic details as you go. As soonas you use some information from a source,record all the details then.It is MUCH MUCH easier to write yourbibliography if you do this.You can always delete references to the materialyou did not end up using.We cannot help you much if you leave doing thisstuff to the last minute