Institute of Genetics and Animal Breeding of the Polish Academy of Sciences Jastrzębiec n/Warsaw Telephone: +4822/ 756 17 11 to 18, Fax: +4822/ 756 16 99 e-mail: J.Horbanczuk@ighz.pl Professor Jarosław Olav Horbańczuk, Ph.D., D.Sc.
Since 2000 IGAB PAS runs permanent postgraduate studies, and recruitment of the best graduates is done every 2 years The Institute - 1 4 0 persons 42 scientists : 11 professors 10 associate professors 21 doctors (PhD) 18 PhD students
The Institute - active in two main areas basic and applied research
The basic research :
Molecular genetics including functional genomics
Animal biotechnology and embryology
Animal breeding and genetics - elaboration of such methods of animal improvement and production, which render possible the production of safe and valuable food ,
considering of animal welfare , and a limited unfavorable effect of agriculture on the environment .
Institute publishes an English language quarterly “ Animal Science Papers and Reports “ covered in Journal Citation Reports / Science Edition (Master Journal List in Philadelphia –USA) .
The Institute cooperates with 38 national and 40 foreign scientific and research institutions
Institute posseses Experimental Farm, keep ing various species of farm animals ( cattle, pigs, goats, sheep, hens, rabbits and quails ), creating unique research possibilities on the European scale.
The Institute comprises well equipped laboratories of:
food quality improvement,
GMO and biochemistry,
possesses modern animal facilities,
Proposal of Polish Food Technology Platform associated with European Technology Platform Food for Life
Food safety and expectations of consumers
Application/use of the modern food processing technologies
Animal welfare and environment protection
Improvement of nutritive and health promoting properties of food of animal origin obtained in sustainable production systems with reference to:
Meeting in Brussels – spring 2009 support of the milk, meat, egg processing industry in Central and Eastern Europe & from participants of CoE ANIMBIOGEN IN EU (conference 14/15 V 2009)
KBBE 2009-2-7-02- Development of functional foods and ingredients (database on traditional foods and bioinformatics) – India
KBBE –2009- 2-3-03- Sustainable food and feed processing
14-15 May 2009- IGAB PAS Poland Conference on improvement of quality of animal products obtained in sustainable production systems with special reference to bioactive components and their benefit for human health
2 day s international conference for p articipants and speakers from outstanding EU research institutions
Up-to-date knowledge will be provided in relation to quality of animal products especial ly to bio-active components (micro- and macro-elements, peptides or vitamins in milk , meat and eggs from the consumer health (benefit) point of view
Achieving sustainable food production
The impact of animal food products with special reference to bio-active components on human health.
Producing functional food of animal origin enriched with bio-active components.
The influence of feeding and housing systems, and the physiological status of animals (the activity of bio-active substances, oxidative status) on the quality of products in different production systems.
The relationship between genetic polymorphism and quality of products of animal origin.
The focus is on improvement of quality of milk, meat and eggs obtained in sustainable production systems (low input, organic) with special reference to bioactive components
Food market UE-27- 900mld euro and 4 mln employees
I ncreasing risk of civilization diseases (obesity, diabetes, hypertension, osteoprosis, allergy, cancer problems) .
Food overproduction – quality, functional foods
Consumers expectations – food safety, quality and sensoric value
Wide interdisciplinary approach to the food chain aspects
1. Genetics aspects of food quality improvement –the selection of optimal genotypes (races and their crosses).
2. The influence of feeding and housing systems on modifying the chemical composition and nutritive value of milk, meat and eggs with special reference to bioactive components (antioxidants i.e. selen ) and methods of energy- saving production and by-products
3. The evaluation of food safety (contamination with heavy metals, pesticides, microbiological aspects).
4. Evaluation of technological value of functional food and their biological analysis (using model animals and human)
5. Development of traceability systems of food production along the food chain (from field to fork) – precise livestock farming – PLF. Introducing the labelling system of functional food
6. Marketing policy ( trade mark) and economic aspects of production of functional food s .
7. Elaboration of innovative technologies
A) for production functional food -farmers
B) such food processing technologies protecting bio-components in functional products –biomilk, bio-eggs (milk microfiltration vs UHT) -industry
Possibilities of collaboration
C reation of international scientific consortia - capable of participation in wide scope, interdisciplinary (with III countries like Kazakhstan and innovative joint grant proposals for research projects within FP 7 in the area of sustainable animal production systems, food quality and animal welfare, genomics, reproductive biology .
Mutual cooperation between IGAB PAS and research institutions in Kazakhstan
3. Postgradutes Studies for PhD students (in english in 2010-2011) in genomics, biotechnology, quality of products of animal origin, sustainable production systems, animal welfare.
4. Novel food products from unconventional animals like ostriches, deer, guinea fowl, pheasant – niche production
5. Practical aspects of animal science and production
Thank you! Professor Jarosław Olav Horbańczuk, Ph.D., D.Sc. Institute of Genetics and Animal Breeding PAS Jastrzębiec n/Warsaw Tel. +4822/ 756 17 11, www.ighz.edu.pl; email: email@example.com [email_address]