7. How Often is Training Required?</li></li></ul><li>Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)<br />In 1996, Congress passed the HIPAA Public Law 104-191. HIPAA required Health and Human Services (HHS) to establish – with far-reaching implications and consequences – new guidelines, key principles, and national standards for the handling of electronic healthcare, applicable to everyone working within the US healthcare system (Wolper, 2011, p. 389).<br />
8. HIPAA Privacy Overview<br /><ul><li>Intended to protect the privacy of all individually identifiable health information created or held by covered entities, regardless of whether it is or ever has been in electronic form.
9. Includes paper records and oral communications.
10. Must maintain documentation of their policies and procedures for complying with the standards,
11. Must include a statement of who has access to protected health information, how it is used within the covered entity, and when it would or would not be disclosed to other entities.
12. Providers must obtain a patient's consent for the disclosure or use of the patient's health information, even for treatment, payment, and health care operations purposes. </li></li></ul><li>What is Protected Health Information (PHI) ?<br />Protected Health information is any information about a patients health status, the patients care, or any patient information about payments of his care. PHI is any information about the patient. <br />
13. HIPAA Security Rule Overview<br /><ul><li>Final component of HIPAA
14. Deals with protection of identifiable health information
15. Inadvertent disclosure of identifiable health information
16. Deliberate misuse of identifiable health information
17. Established standards and regulations for healthcare providers on required procedures ensuring administrative safeguards
18. There are different levels of penalties for violations</li></li></ul><li>Who is Required to Train?<br />All employees at all levels<br />
19. How Often is Training required?<br /><ul><li>Training is required at date of hire
20. Training is required yearly
21. Training will be completed on the internet computerized training education site</li></li></ul><li>REFERENCES<br /><ul><li>Tan, J. and Payton, F. (2010). Adaptive health management information systems: concepts, cases, and practical applications (3rd ed.). Sudbury, Massachusetts. Jones and Bartlett Publishers.
22. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services . Retrieved June 9, 2011 from http://www.ihs.gov/AdminMngrResources/HIPAA/index.cfm?module=privacy_standards.
23. Wolper, L. (2011). Health care administration managing organized delivery systems (Fifth Edition). Sudbury, Massachusetts, Jones and Bartlett Publishers.</li>