Yogesh Aggarwal – Global Director
Paradigm Shift in Last Decade
World is changed
• Nothing Left to Discover
• Everything is been created
• Time to think & Plan is not available
• Lot of things to Do
• Lot of Channels
• Consumers Trust is all time low
• Competition is All time High
• Responses are all time low
• Costs are All time High
Demassification – Focus is
Consumers Lack of Time
Convenience of Ordering
From Direct Marketers
Growth of Customer Databases
The Growth of Direct Marketing
1. Increase in Customized Products
2. Fragmented Markets
3. Product Price Sensitivity
4. Shrinking Audiences for Network TV
5. Emphasis on Immediate Sales
Media Planning & Full Presence was never so
Email / Connect
Direct Mail / Retention Mails
Linked In /Professional Network
Video Marketing / Viral /You Tube
Google / SEO /Search Engines
Twitter / What’s up/Speak Out
PR / Media
Programs & Work
OUR CHANGING LANDSCAPE
• Our industry is changing because the consumers we market
to and create for have changed.
• For the first time in a long time we are being forced to listen
to consumers and what they are thinking, feeling and now
commenting about the brands we represent.
• The traditional marketing model is being challenged,
and (CMOs) can foresee a day when it will no longer
work. McKinsey Quarterly, 2005, Number 2
TECHNOLOGY AND ITS ROLE IN OUR WORLD
• First marketers and media mavens controlled how we consumed media.
– “Your contract with the network when you get the show is that you’re going to
watch the spots … Any time you skip a commercial …you’re actually stealing
the programming” - Jamie Kellner, CEO of Turner Broadcasting, April 2002
• Then…. The Power Shifted
Anytime - Any Place - Any Way
DON’T CREATE DIGITAL TACTICS - CREATE
• Often marketers think that creating a slick website, a
video on YouTube or an email is the answer to their
marketing needs and can move product off shelves.
• It is not.
• The paradigm shift has happened.
– The noise we have made over the years has
frustrated consumers and they have tuned us and our
– Now we are monologue-ing in the corner of the room
talking to ourselves.
• We are in the Conversation Economy.
WHAT CREATES CONSUMER
of consumers don’t believe
that companies tell the
truth in advertisements
THE DIGITAL MEDIUM
1. Rapid Response Culture
2. Integrated interactive media channels
• Corporate website
• Online Media
• On Demand
3. Immediate Results
• User Clicks
• User Registrations
• All = Engagement measurement factors
4. Optimization of sites and Online Media campaigns
• Just because we launch it does not mean our job is done -
WE’VE ONLY JUST BEGUN
• The internet is a live and interactive medium where the
consumer expects and often demands fresh and innovative
content and experiences.
DIGITAL MARKETING & COMMUNITY
Its is all about the audience.
Playing in the digital landscape…
Using promotions that give consumers something
to talk and that are relevant to our consumers’
We will tell brand stories that encourage Word of
Mouth (WOM) and positive brand experiences.
DIGITAL BRAND EXPERIENCES
• On the web, or on the phone we are creating strategic design.
• We create brand identities and consumer interfaces.
• Our three rules:
– User Interface = Brand
– Design is how it looks & works.
• The introduction of Interactive and Experience Design
• The Introduction to Consumer Engagement Mapping
– Which communicates the story that you are telling consumers
• Interaction Design (ID) is the professional discipline that defines the
behavior of interactive products and how products communicate their
functionality to the people who use them.
• Good interaction design makes products ranging from computer
software to clock radios to cars more useful, usable, and desirable.
MICROSITES & DIGITAL MEDIA- How do they work?
• The Presentation Layer
– This layer controls the look and feel
as well as the consumer interacts
with the site or media
– Vector Design Files
• The Business Logic
– This layer controls how the site
works, takes in information, pushes
– Object Oriented Programming
• The Data Layer
– Databases and stored procedures
• MS SQL Server, My SQL, Oracle
pages not seen
by the consumer
User Centered Design = EXPERIENCE NOT NOISE
• The key to creating best online experiences is all in
the execution of the Team.
– They must be great story tellers
– They must be consumers
– They must be strategic artists
• It is important to have a well-balanced team that has
the skills needed to implement a user-centered
design approach to site, media and mobile, often
referred to as User Experience (UE).