A brief through of the Search Engine Marketing field, including Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Social Media Optimization (SMO) and PPC (Paid Per Click). This powerpoint will focus mainly on introduction of SEO and PPC.
Background:-The presentation is to give the team a brief walk through on the simple concepts of SEO and SEM and their techniques.
- Do not think that online marketing is an alien. It is just the same as traditional marketing; however, it has been digitized. - Talking about search, it’s the same idea as well. In the past, people will go to yellow pages to search for things through directory. Nowadays, people will go to Google to search for what they want. So, that basically the difference between traditional and online marketing.
So, what is search engine marketing (SEM)? SEO, SMO, and PPC are all under the umbrella of SEM. Today, we will only focus on SEO and PPC. We can talk about Social Media Optimization later on.
Basically, there are 2 types of search: organic search, which is free and paid search, which is not free. So, before I start to walk you through the basic techniques of SEO, let’s walk through how search engine works.
So, how does search engine works? It is not rocket science. Whenever there’s a new website posted, linked to or has its content updated, the search engine spiders will crawl that pageThe crawler skims text, image descriptions, meta data, page titles, and URLWe Follow links, count links in and out
The search engine will also Index key terms, count word frequency which is known as keywords density in the SEO fieldKeywords are words that are used by search engines to determine the topic of a given web pageSites are ranked according to their key term’s rank
- There are many search engines around the world, including Google, AOL Search (powered by Google), Ask.com, Bing, Yahoo (powered by Bing), Baidu and Yandex (a Russian search engine)
Again, these techniques are important, but DO NOT overdo because if you do, you site will disappear from the search engine pretty fast. Rule no.1 , do not over due SEO for search engine. Users of the site always go first, not the search engines.
You can go ready creative with your analysis depends on the objective of your campaign. You can compare the impression and the CTR to see the conversion rate of the keywords. To further your analysis, you can test with different landing pages with different keywords
Search engine marketing seo & ppc
By Susanna Chu, SEO Specialist[Online Marketing]SEO & SEM
1. Traditional V.S. Online 2. How does search engine works? 3. What is SEO? 3.1 The hierarchy of web presence optimizationTopics 3.2 Organic search V.S. Paid search 4. SEO Techniques 5. Adwords Campaign 6. Monitoring System 7. How to increase traffic 8. Useful Websites
1. Traditional V.S. Online Directory V.S. Search Engine
3.2 Organic Search V.S Paid Search• There are 2 types of search engine traffic.
2. How does the search engine works?» Whenever there is a new website posted, linked to or has its content updated, the search engine spiders will crawl that page» The crawler skims text, image descriptions, meta data, page titles, and URL» Follow links, count links inand out
2. How does the search engine works?» Index key terms, count word frequency (keywords density)» Keywords are words that are used by search engines to determine the topic of a given web page» Sites are ranked according to their key term’s rank
2. How does the search engine works?» There are many search engines around the world.
3. What is SEO?It is the art and science of publishing information and marketing it in amanner that helps search engines understand your information is relevant torelevant search queries.SEO consists largely of keyword research, SEO copywriting, informationarchitecture, link building, brand building, building mindshare, reputationmanagement, and viral marketing.
3.1 The Hierarchy of Web Presence Optimization
4. SEO Techniques – Title TagsTitle tags - The title element is used to describe the contents of a document.The title is one of the most important aspects to doing SEO on a web page.Each page title should be: – Unique to that page: Not the same for every page of a site! – Descriptive: What important ideas does that page cover? – Not excessively long: Typically page titles should be kept to 8 to 10 words or less, with some of the most important words occurring near the beginning of the page title.• Page titles appear in search results as the links searchers click on. In addition many people link to documents using the official document title as the link anchor text. Thus, by using a descriptive page title you are likely to gain descriptive anchor text and are more likely to have your listing clicked on.
4. SEO Techniques – Headings, Bold, Anchor TextHeadings – The heading element briefly describes the subject of the section itintroduces. Heading elements go from H1 to H6 with the lower numberedheadings being most important. You should only use a single H1 element oneach page, and may want to use multiple other heading elements to structurea document.Bold – A way to make words appear in a bolder font. Words that appear in abolder font are more likely to be read by humans that are scanning a page. Asearch engine may also place slightly greater weighting on these words thanregular text.Anchor text – The text that a user would click on to follow a link. In the casethe link is an image the image alt attribute may act in the place of anchortext. Too much similar anchor text may be a considered a sign ofmanipulation, and thus discounted or filtered. Make sure when you arebuilding links that you control that you try to mix up your anchor text.Outside of your core brand terms if you are targeting Google you probably donot want any more than 10% to 20% of your anchor text to be the same.
4. SEO Techniques – URL, Breadcrumb and Links URL – It is very important to the Google algorithm nowadays. However, whenever you change the URL, a redirection must be done because Google launch something called Google Panda as a police to fight duplicate content. Hence, if you don’t redirect and leave duplicate content floating around in the Google search engine, it’s very likely your website will get penalties. Breadcrumb – It is moderate important to Google algorithm. Navigational technique used to help search engines and website users understand the relationship between pages. Links - A citation from one web document to another web document or another position in the same document. Most major search engines consider links as a vote of trust. Inbound link can be build through blogs and link exchange with other websites or blogs.
5. PPC- Types of Keywords• Misspell• Branded• Competitors• General• Function Focused• Industry Focused• Company Focused
5. PPC- Types of Keywords• We can choose a group or two of keywords to run for each campaign and see which set works the best for your audience.• Most important, do not bid for keywords that your website is already ranking on the first page.• Bid for keywords that your website are doing bad• The idea is to have the lowest CPC with the highest CTR• For Facebook CPC, please visit http://tech.momentgarden.com/post/5016551651/facebook-ads-how-to- get-1-cent-cpc-and-why-you-might
6. Monitoring SystemHow should be measure?- The number of visitors- The average number of page views per visitor- Average visit duration & average page duration- Busy times – the most popular viewing time- Most requested pages – entry pages & exit pages- Referrers
6. Monitoring System - PPC• Impression• CTR• CPC
7. How to increase traffic ?• Good Content• Link Sharing• Update Content• Know your keywords – What are people looking for to find your website – What terms best describe your website – What terms are using to find your competitors and you industry? – Have you included misspelled keywords in your campaigns?
Useful WebsitesSearch Engine Watchhttp://searchenginewatch.com/seoMarketsharehttp://marketshare.hitslink.com/browser-market-share.aspx?qprid=0Keywords Density Analyzerhttp://www.keyworddensity.com/Redirect Checkerhttp://www.internetofficer.com/seo-tool/redirect-check/Backlink Checkerhttp://www.online-utility.org/webmaster/backlink_domain_analyzer.jsp