3. pathways• Green open access - repositories• Gold open access - journals
4. article processing charges?
5. UK funding policy
6. source: Lewis 2012
7. Open access quick glossaryAPC: article processing charge. This is the charge levied by a publisher toedit an article and make it ready for publication.CC-BY: all Wellcome-funded research articles which are published under anopen access APC model must be licensed using the Creative Commonsattribution licence CC-BY. This means that anyone is free to copy, distributeand display the work, to make derivative works and to make commercial useof the work providing that they give the original author credit.Embargo period: the period after which a published paper can be (or mustbe) deposited in a repository. The Finch report recommended not less than12 months. The final RCUK guidance is likely to take the Finchrecommendations and subsequent discussions into account.Gold open access: "pay to publish" rather than "pay to read", so the journalis paid to peer review, edit and publish a paper, for example via an APC, andthen its freely available for all to read rather than only being accessible in asubscription-only journal.Green open access: parallel publishing in subscription journal and depositinto an open access institutional or subject repository route.JISC Inform 36, Spring 2013
8. ReferencesDOAJ (DOAJplus). “RT @invisiblecomma: about 50% of articles indexed by DOAJ since startof 2012 are CC-BY licensed: goo.gl/0gvjA #doaj #openaccess”. 4 April 2013, 12:53 p.m. Tweet.Laasko, M. et al. 2011. The Development of Open Access Journal Publishing from 1993 to2009. PLoS One, 6(6), e20961. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0020961.Lewis, D.W. 2012. The inevitability of open access. College & Research Libraries, 73, pp.496-506.Reed Elsevier. 2013 Reed Elsevier 2012 Results. www.reedelsevier.com, 28 February 2013.Available at: http://www.reedelsevier.com/mediacentre/pressreleases/2013/Pages/reed-elsevier-2012-results.aspx [Accessed: 13 May 2013].Solomon, D.J. and Björk, B.-C. 2012. A study of open access journals using article processingcharges. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 63(8),pp.1485–1495. doi: 10.1002/asi.22673
9. by Stuart Lawson@lawsonstupresentation available on Slidesharehttp://www.slideshare.net/StuartLawson1/open-access-22061901This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 UnportedLicense