Non verbal acts are negotiated and heavily influenced by :
- Degree to which knowledge of the code is shared
- Skills and attentiveness of the communication
- Deliberate use of ambiguity
- NVC accounts for 80% of communication in face-to-face communication (Alan Pease)
NON VERBAL COMMUNICATION
- ‘ WE MAKE AND RECEIVE NON VERBAL SIGNS WHENEVER WE ARE WITH OTHERS’ (ARGYLE)
- ‘ WE CANNOT NOT COMMUNICATE’
1. BODY LANGUAGE:
- Which consists of the following:
GESTURE (or kinesics) Think of a gesture and what does it mean? Who may mot understand the sign? Consider how this might relate to tribal identity and power?
EXPRESSION Six faces – what emotion do they SIGNIFY?
BODY POSTURE How can posture affect your feelings toward someone? Think of a CONTEXT, place, time or situation.
PROXEMICS Draw circles to illustrate the Intimate, Private and Public Zones
EYE CONTACT In what situation or context would you consider holding eye contact? And when would you avoid eye-contact?
TOUCH Think of three different ways you touch different people in different situations in one day. Can this be affected by CULTURE
- Remember Catherine Tate & Only Fools and Horses.
- Voluntary control – for example?
- Less controllable – example?
- Appearance sends messages about personality, social status, conformity, role and identity
- See powerpoint on appearance (coming soon to a lesson near you)