How to learn the guitar
A short guide by StringTown
Why learn the guitar?
What's your main motivation behind learning the guitar?
Make sure the reason why you want to learn the instrument
is compelling enough for you.
● Is it because you want to be a guitar god?
● Do you just want to do something more productive with your
time instead of watching TV?
● Do you want to impress someone, or hope that you can
attract people's attention if you're good enough?
● Or do you simply just enjoy the incredible feeling you get
when you are making good music?
Make sure the reason why you want to play guitar is strong
enough to make you feel like you get to practice your
instrument instead of having to practice it.
Stop and think about your
reason why you want to
When you think you got it, write it down and place it
somewhere where you can see it every day
When you read it, you should feel something and want
to learn or play your instrument!
One of the best ways to measure your progress in anything
is to set for yourself some challenging goals.
- When talking about guitar, you could say: I want to learn
this solo by the end of the week! Or I want to learn 4 new
arpeggios per month!
- You goals should have a time period associated to them
and should also be trackable. If you say: I want to be better
at guitar. That's going to be very hard to track.
- The main point of setting goals is to feel like you are
making tangible progress towards achieving something.
Music is the ultimate goal
A lot of people online are only focused on learning new
techniques and playing faster.
● This is all good, but the main point of playing an instrument should
be first and foremost, in my opinion, to make great music and enjoy
● Great music can be made at any technical level. You don't need to
learn all these cool tricks and gimmicks in order to make people
enjoy listening to you!
● One of the best ways to learn the guitar is to try to reproduce the
sounds you hear in your head as closely as possible. That is how
you manage to turn boring practice into a hobby that you love!
What do all these players have in common? What got them
so all so far?
-It's Their uncontrollable love for guitar and music
1. Know why you are learning guitar and write
that reason down.
2. Set yourself some challenging, trackable
goals that will motivate you to learn more
3. Remember that music is the ultimate goal,
enjoy playing your guitar and try composing
songs at any technical level!
My goal in making these informational slideshows is to help
you on your musical journey. Would you happen to have
any questions or suggestions, please feel free to email me
I also own an online guitar shop so if ever you
need a new guitar or just want to window shop
for your next one, head on over to my website:
-Dave, guitar fanatic
Thanks for watching!