Uk city of culture 2017 portsmouth southampton community forumPresentation Transcript
Community Forum22nd April 2013
• Meet those involved in the initial bid stage• Hear more about the process• Join discussions that inform the next stage• Consider key questions and success criteria
• Sam Cox – Poet Laureate since March 2012• Sarah Cheverton – Freelance writer and researcher –earlier bid writer – Coordinator of Portsmouth WritersHub• A poem for our cities…
• National competition, launched in 2009, to runevery four years• “An opportunity to create & innovate, to buildlocal pride, to show the world who you are &what you can do.”• Culture is a mechanism to achieve widereconomic & social goals – ambition to “useculture as a catalyst for change”.
• Expression of Interest for 2017 submitted. Totalof eleven areas entered.• Initial bid needed for 30thApril 2013.• Shortlist decision in June, with full bids forshortlisted submitted by 30thSeptember 2013.
• What do you think are the best things about culture inPortsmouth and Southampton?• What are the main weaknesses and under-developedareas of the cultural offer in Portsmouth andSouthampton?• Would you like to be part of a UK City of Culture 2017programme in Portsmouth and Southampton? Whatbenefits would you expect it to bring to you and yourorganisation?
• What artistic programme or activity would you like todeliver in 2017, were we awarded City of Culture?• If the bid is successful, which major event, group ororganisation would you like to see happen in 2017?• If the bid is successful, what one legacy would you like tosee in Portsmouth and Southampton after 2017 haspassed?