Leveragingsocial mediaSteve Wright, Community Development ExecFuture | Social media | April 2013
• Future’s combined Facebook/Twitteraudience: over 5m• Future Facebook fans up 57% in FY12• Twitter followers up 71%• Traffic to Future sites from social media: up80% year-on-yearFirst, some numbersFuture | Social media | April 2013
“The most importantalgorithm you’ve neverheard of”1. Facebook EdgeRankFuture | Social media | April 2013
Why is EdgeRankimportant?Future | Social media | April 2013As little as 12% of the average page’s fanssee each post. Of a page with 10,000 fans,that’s 1,200This is because the vast majority of fansinteract with you in their Newsfeed, noton your pageNewsfeed isn’t a newsfeed. It’s a chart.How do you get into it more often?
Understanding EdgeRankFuture | Social media | April 2013WEIGHTPosts have different value.Videos, photos, links, textupdatesAFFINITYBetween page and fan.Shares, comments, likesTIME DECAYHow long ago was the“Edge” posted?
Applying EdgeRankFuture | Social media | April 2013• Keep EdgeRank – your Facebook ‘credit score’ – in mind wheneverposting• Lots of images. But mix it up• Encourage interaction: ask questions, be pithy. Yes/no, fill in theblank, “click like if…”• Join the comments and improve page/fan affinity• Comments doubly important: also combat time decay• Look for a high Talking About This number in Facebook Insights.These are your most engaging posts
2. Facebook giveawaysFuture | Social media | April 2013• People love free stuff• Facebook promotions build audienceand awareness• But aim for more than just a ‘like’• And make sure you know therules
Don’t do thisFuture | Social media | April 2013“Like and share this post to enter”competitions are against Facebook T&Cs.Your page could be deletedWhy?1. Must use a page tab/app2. Liking or sharing a post is not entry3. Informing winners
Instead, do thisFuture | Social media | April 2013
3. Twitter SearchFuture | Social media | April 2013recommend "mountain bike" OR"road bike" -filter:links
4. Twitter ListsFuture | Social media | April 2013
Twitter ListsFuture | Social media | April 2013• Public or private• Don’t need to follow• Riders, journalists, clients,influencers…• Look for other public lists• Use
5. Twitter…Future | Social media | April 2013• Tweets can be very boring• Ask questions; invite responses• Aim for less than 140• WHY should they click?• And…
5. Twitter CardsFuture | Social media | April 2013
6. Google AuthorshipFuture | Social media | April 2013• More eye-catching in search =more traffic• Increased search result realestate• “More by this author”• Authority: you know what you’retalking aboutplus.google.com/authorship
Social media doesn’t stick to UK office hours. Neither should you7. SchedulingFuture | Social media | April 2013
Future | Social media | April 20138. Look beyond Facebook
pinterest.com/source/bikeradar.comPinterestFuture | Social media | April 2013
reddit.com/domain/cyclingnews.comredditFuture | Social media | April 2013• “Front page of the internet”• 4bn page views a month• r/Bicycling, r/MTB,r/Bikeporn…• Can drive huge traffic but…• Tread carefully
• No silver bullet or one-size-fits-all approach• Don’t expect huge traffic or direct revenue• But set long-term goals and have a strategy• You will drive engagement, brand awareness, loyaltyand advocacyIn conclusionFuture | Social media | April 2013
Any questions?Steve Wrightsteve.email@example.com@turnitupalittleFuture | Social media | April 2013
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.