3. Trolls in a crisis● Lets not exagerate... ● 1 troll = nuisance ● 5 trolls = problem ● 10 trolls = sign of crisis – Example: hundreds of fun trolls spam Belfius wall with “Befluis” mentions. Crisis or not?● Trolling can cause serious damage: ● Bradley Hampson, Sean Duffy ● Paid troll attacks
4. Definition of a troll● Attack a person, product, brand or community.● Measuring succes by amount of destabilization● Categories: fun vs. anger
5. Anatomy of a troll● Criticize²● Personal attacks, provocations, insults, threats● Endless discussions● Keep coming back● Troll guide
6. Preventing damage● Identifying trouble: ● Trust your core members ● Get to the bottom of complaints ● Consider the influence of the individual ● Create private communication channels – Example: message to page
7. Preventing damage● Improve social control ● Facebook/Twitter Connect ● Support RL meetings ● Support contact between members
8. When damage is caused● Moderation: ignore, ban● If all else fails: ● eCops● Suggestions?