The Game Plan
How are tactics used to market products to
2. Compare and contrast the use of a tactic
and a strategy in the marketing process.
3. Which types of data input are important to
marketers to determine the appropriate
strategy for marketing.
Tactic– The way a product or service is differentiated in
the minds of customers from other competing
products or services.
– To hold a truly competitive edge, a company’s
product or service must be truly different in the
mind of the consumers.
from the bottom up.
Most tactics are developed by those who
work with the customer first hand.
Developed by those who have their minds
open to exploring what the customer wants.
process by which the tactics are
your product or service is generating
profits quickly, competition will arise.
Sports and entertainment marketers want to
know all information about their potential
“Winning the game” in business means
generating more market share and profit
– Information gathered about competitors.
of data that is valuable to marketers:
– Product/Service Management
– Promotional Efforts
– Can be the major factor in the decision to buy.
– Knowing the place that consumers buy the most
products as well as the best way of producing a
product allow companies to have a competitive
– Knowing what your competitors products or
services offer allow business to hold an edge
– Knowing the customer they are targeting,
promotional efforts of competitors, and how
much competitors are spending on promotions.
– Cost effective and efficient.
– Provides information that would not otherwise be
– Major events where people in a related industry meet to
show their products, exchange ideas, learn about the
latest trends, and so forth.
– Volunteer information about the competition.
A. The study of sales process.
B. The ways a product is differentiated from the
C. The study of the relationship of individual
consumers and producers.
D. Strategies for success.
To find information about competition,
A. Use the Internet.
B. Attend trade shows.
C. Talk with customers.
D. All of the above.
Entertainment and Sports
How do marketers use a marketing plan to
focus their strategies and tactics?
2. Why is it important for marketers to reach
their customer base through different types
of touch points?
3. How do trends in sports and entertainment
affect the marketing plan used to reach
A precisely written document that describes the
tactics and strategies that will be used to market
the product or service.
Once tactics are determined, strategies are
designed based on market research.
– Facts and recorded measures that have been gathered.
– Grouped and organized into formats suitable for
Explaining the information so that it has
meaning and drawing conclusions that
relate to the defined marketing research
Research conducted to solve problems.
– Points at which the business makes contact with
Examples: Internet, telephone, e-mails,
advertisements, one-on-one sales, and/or pitches.
How This Takes Place
Nike Vs. Adidas in the soccer world
– Adidas is the main sponsor of soccer including
the World Cup
– Nike would like to profit off of the soccer area
– Nike decides to fill a niche that has not been
filled by Adidas, street – ready soccer
Applied Research is:
A. Gathered from all touch points.
B. Conducted to solve a specific problem.
C. Data that have been organized and
D. None of the above.
Touch points are:
A. Sensitive areas of business.
B. Buttons pushed on computer screens.
C. The points where a business makes contact
D. All of the above.
Mapping the Plan
How do the steps of the marketing plan work
together to create an effective tool for
Compare and contrast the different steps of the
marketing plan and what must happen during
each step to ensure an effective marketing plan.
Why would marketers want to identify and
include their mission statement and product
portfolio into their marketing plan?
Identifies the nature of the business and the
reason it exists.
– Provides focus for marketers and planners
as they develop tactics and strategies for
new products and services.
– All tactics and strategies are built around
the mission statement.
– Broad group of customers.
– All the products a company has available for customers
at any one time.
– The sales potential for a new product is tried in a
regional, or otherwise small, market prior to its final
release nationwide and/or worldwide.
marketing plan can generally be divided
into three categories
The Mission Statement
– Reiterates the organization’s mission statement.
– Helps marketers focus their efforts.
– Pertinent marketing information is shared.
– Includes data about the current and past performances of the
– The tactic is specified and describes how the new product or
service will be differentiated in the minds of consumers.
– Pinpoint a gap that is not being fulfilled by other competitors
Describes the marketing mix as well as
plans for financial and risk management.
The Distribution System
Describes how the marketing plan will be put into
– State the date the plan needs to be completed and work
Assignments and Responsibility
– Specify who is responsible for carrying out each task.
Internal Communication Systems
– It is desirable that all areas of the organization buy into
– The marketing plan must outline how direct
sales will be handled. All touch points should
Review and Evaluation
– Include mileposts to measure progress to ensure
the plan is on task.
A mass market is:
A. a religious group.
a broad category of consumers.
C. a group of investors.
D. none of the above.
The major categories of a marketing plan
D. All of the above.
Which of the following would not be
considered a touch point:
A. an e-mail to a customer.
a manager – employee meeting.
C. an interactive web site where customers can
find information and provide feedback.
D. an advertisement.
The implementation section of the marketing
plan will contain:
assignments of responsibility.
C. intervals of review and evaluation
D. all of the above.
A product portfolio:
A. the research completed on a product.
a pricing strategy.
C. all of the products a company has available
for customers at any one time.
D. all of the above.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.