Skip Reardon has over 30 years of experience in marketing, communications, competitive intelligence. He’s designed over a dozen web sites since 1994 (and can still code HTML in Notepad) He’s recognized as one of the top small business bloggers since he began the Be Excellent blog in 2005, which offers over 1,500 posts about strategy, execution, leadership, accountability, and employee engagement. He’s recently been named to the Top 100 Most Influential Small Business Twitter list, and is recognized as one of the Top 20 experts on strategic planning. Request this presentation: email@example.comVisit the Be Excellent blog:www.SixDisciplines.blogspot.comConnect on LinkedInhttp://www.linkedin.com/in/sreardonFollow on Twitter: www.Twitter.com/sreardon (@sreardon)Friend on FaceBook:www.facebook.com/SkipReardonConnect on SkypeSreardon
To Understand Where We Are, We Need to Understand Were We’ve BeenYears to Reach 50 millions Users: Radio (38 Years)TV (13 Years)Internet (4 Years), iPod (3 Years)In the past 9 months, iPhone applications hit 1 billion downloads andFacebook added 100 million users
Americans spend about 20% of their Internet time on using social media sites = tripled in the past year.Greatest increase in social media adoption - adults ages 35 to 54 - where participation has grown 60%1 out of 8 couples married in the U.S. last year met via social media (match.com, eHarmony.com)
Stop the denial. Yes, social media is disruptive. Yes, it is distracting, even addictive. But it is definitely not a fad. Like the telephone was to the telegraph, TV to the radio, and CDs to cassette tapes, social media is a disruptive innovation and is changing the way people communicate, buy, and work. Social media is becoming mainstream. Stop making excuses.
Above the line – the primary tools and technologies that are covered in this presentationBelow the line - other social media tools that are gaining in importance NOTE:Skype’s registered users grew 41 percent to 521 million people in October 20. That’s a stunning 40 million new registered users in the past three months
Blogging grew 68% in 2008Today - over 200,000,000 blogs346 million people worldwide read blogs77% of active Internet users read blogs dailyCompanies that blog have far better marketing results:55% more visitors97% more inbound links434% more indexed pages (Google likes new content!)
Use Google/Bing. Search your name. Chances are, your LinkedIn profile will appear in the top 5 search engine results. That's why it should be updated – weekly.Don't need to accept every connection requestAdd applications to your profile. (SlideShare presentations, blog posts)
The most talked about, most misunderstood social media toolRoots in texting 4.1 billion SMS (text) messages are being sent daily 474,537.04 every 10 secondsAs much as 60% of Twitter usage comes from mobile devices Use of URL shorteners (Tiny URL, Bit.ly)By 2010 - Twitter usage will reach 30 million US adults - a further 44.4% climb. Only 27% are regular users41% of Tweets - Pointless BabbleA fad? Recent $100m funding – Twitter (the company) now valued at $1B
update anywhere, anytime…imagine what that means for bad customer experiences?
If Facebook were a country it would be the world’s 4th largest between the United States and Indonesia (300 million users)
YouTube is not the only player - Vimeo, blip.tv, metacafe,
YouTube is not the only player - Vimeo, blip.tv, metacafe,
http://rossdawsonblog.com/SocialMediaStrategyFrameworkv2.pdf - Ross Dawson – predicted 7 years ago – the emergence of social networks, Twitter, corporate blogging, etc. http://livingnetworksbook.com/downloads.php
Think holistically about social networking – it’s NOT just marketing, it's sales, PR, recruiting, support, etc.
You need to integrate social technologies into your corporate Web site or Google will render you irrelevant. In the near future we will no longer search for products and services -- they will find us via social mediaThe social web is quickly evolving. Develop long-term strategies now. Stop playing the one-off games and think about how this is truly changing your business.The mobile device will be the world’s primary connection tool to the Internet in 2014
45% of employers currently use social media for recruiting – another 15% plan on using it before end of 20098% have fired people Be careful“What you SAY on the Internet, STAYS on the Internet.”Language, pictures, private infoPotential (and current) employers are watching
"Life is long in the sense that we have long memories. Time is short in that you have to move very quickly. But to me the most important thing to know is that life has a way of working things out. We forget so quickly what the problem was three or four years ago. So my personal view of life is that every problem is an opportunity."
The What, Why, and How
of Social Networking
October 28, 2009
Director of Digital Marketing & Social Networking
In The Time It Takes Me To Do This
333 million minutes will be spent on Facebook
171 million text messages will be sent
83,300 people will send tweets on Twitter
59,367 professionals will visit LinkedIn
1,200 hours of videos will be uploaded to YouTube
– What’s it all about?
– How did we get here?
– What’s all the fuss about?
– Why it’s no longer optional
– What’s in it for us?
What are the tools?
How do we get started?
How do we craft a strategy?
What does the future hold?
What’s It All About?
• Social Media (noun)
– The tools & technologies combined with social
interaction that create communication and value.
• Social Networking (verb)
– The activities and use of social media.
– The practice of expanding the number of one's
business and/or social contacts by making
connections with others.
What’s All The Fuss About?
• It’s a fundamental shift in
the way we
communicate, buy, and
• It’s not a fad – it’s not going
• It’s no longer optional.
Why It’s No Longer Optional
• Stop Making Excuses
– My customers aren’t asking for it
– My competitors aren’t using it
– I don’t want our mistakes announced publicly
– I don’t have the time
– I don’t understand it
What’s In It For Us?
Engage with customers
Build your community
Attract new customers
Improve your reputation
Build your brand
Build customer loyalty
Blogs (and Blogging)
• Defined: a website maintained by an individual
with regular entries of commentary, descriptions
of events, graphics or videos
• Participatory journalism, user-generated content
• Personal, corporate, genre, media
• Started in 1998, mainstream by 2004
• Political impact, employment considerations
Blogs (and Blogging)
• Traditional Tools:
• Newer blogging tools:
Content is KING: user-created information
Revitalize old blog posts (for Google page rank)
Use categories, tags
Take advantage of Google Analytics (powerful, free)
Blogs & Blogging - Top Resources
• State of the Blogosphere – October 2009
• My Best Advice About Blogging (Chris Brogan)
• 9 Hidden Benefits of Blogging
• 50 Blog Topics Marketers Could Write For Their Companies
• 10 Things To Do Before Launching Your Blog
• How To Blog Almost Every Day
• For professional networking & prospecting
• 80% of companies – use LI for recruiting
• October 2009 : 50 million members
• Personal Profile
– “The LinkedIn Profile is the future of the resume.”
– Washington Post
– Upload the same photo you use elsewhere online.
– Fill your profile with colorful language, not drab
resume-speak. Include keywords in your summary
– Collect diverse recommendations. Nothing builds
credibility like third-party endorsements.
– Join groups – and get connected with others.
– Contribute to the groups – don’t just lurk.
– Join non-work related groups – shows you’re a human.
• Company Profile
– Set up your company (for recruiting/brand awareness)
– Offer your expertise, become a recognized expert
– Create DirectAds (cost-effective to reach targeted
• 5 Tips to Optimize Your LinkedIn Profile
• How To Build Your Company’s Profile on LinkedIn
• 33 Ways To Use LinkedIn For Business
• 6 Ways To Create Opportunities on LinkedIn
• 17 Invisible LinkedIn Tricks Revealed
• Create a LinkedIn DirectAd
• 140 character limit – (aka a “tweet”) – roots in texting
• Six different types of tweets:
– News, Spam, Self-promotion, Pointless
Babble, Conversational and Pass-along Value.
Your profile is key
Follow – and be followed (quality, not quantity)
RT = Re-tweet (reciprocity)
DM = Direct message (private)
#hash tags = categories, trends
Updates to Facebook, LinkedIn
October 2009 - 5 billion tweets later…
Meeting new people
Product / service feedback
Contests, Polls, Coupons
Product / service reviews
• Basic Twitter for Beginners
• Essential Twitter Apps (desktop, mobile, search,
business, media sharing, URL shorteners)
• Twitter Tips and Tactics – Best of 2009
• 50 Ideas on Using Twitter for Business
• 6 Ways To Integrate Twitter Into Your Website
• Sept 2009 - 300 million active users
• 50% of active users use Facebook every day
• Great way to keep up with friends, relatives, classmates, coworkers
• Fastest growing – 35+ years
• Average user has 130 friends on Facebook
• Each month
– 2 billion photos uploaded
– 14 million videos uploaded
– 3 million events created
• 65 million active users currently access Facebook through
• For Business Use
– Create a “Fan” page
– More than 300,000 businesses — one-third of them
small businesses — have a presence on Facebook.
– National pizza chain Papa John's added 148,000 fans
on Nov. 17 through a guerrilla marketing campaign on
Facebook. The promotion gained it thousands of
customers and drove its Web traffic up 253%. It now
has more than 300,000 fans and hopes to top 1
million by the end of the year.
• How To Get Started on Facebook
• How To Set Up A Winning Facebook Fan Page
• How To Make a Facebook Ad in 15 Minutes
• How To Integrate Facebook with Your Blog
• Facebook for Business Marketing Kit
• October 2009
– 1 billion views – every day
• 11,574 views per second
• 694,444 views per minute
• 41,666,667 views per hour
• 24 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every
• 25% of Americans in the past month said they
watched a short video…on their phone
• By 2013, 90% of Web traffic will be video
• Using YouTube to Promote Your Business
• 34 Ways to Use YouTube for Business
• Creating an Online Video Presence
• YouTube 101 for Small Businesses
What Does The Future Hold?
• Next gen of the web: connecting people vs.
• Mobile + social + real-time
• Corporate websites become irrelevant
• Customers don't care what department you're in
• Increase in social personalization
• Social networks spark the dawn of “social search “
– Microsoft’s Bing
Useful Social Media Resources
The Social Media Revolution – you MUST watch this video
Why Social Media Is No Longer Optional
37 Statistics to Show Why Social Media is Not a Fad Anymore
Social Media Strategy Checklist
How We Created and Implemented Our Social Networking Strategy
How To Leverage Social Media for Your Business
10 Of The Best Social Media Tools for Entrepreneurs
10 Ways to Make Social Media Matter to Skeptical CEOs
How To Measure Social Media ROI
Some Final Thoughts…
• Where to start?
– Listen – learn – experiment
– First platform: a blog
– Next phase: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn
– Reach out - connect with others – gain followers
– Experiment and measure
– Rinse, repeat
Questions & Answers
• Request this presentation:
• Visit the Be Excellent blog:
• Connect on LinkedIn
• Follow on Twitter:
– www.Twitter.com/sreardon (@sreardon)
• Friend on FaceBook:
• Connect on Skype
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.