What is it?
• 140 character limit – (aka a “tweet”) – roots in
• Six different types of tweets:
– News (47%), Spam, Self-promotion, Pointless Babble,
Conversational and Pass-along Value.
• Follow – and be followed (quality, not quantity)
• RT = Re-tweet (reciprocity), DM = Direct message
• Automatic updates to Facebook, LinkedIn
• Who uses it ?
– April 2010 – 100 million users worldwide
– Feb 2010: Twitter now running at 1 billion tweets per month, 50 million
tweets a day, 600 tweets per second
– Known by 87%, just 7% of Americans use Twitter (17 million people)
– 79% of the largest 100 companies in the Fortune Global 500 index are using at
least one of the most popular social media platforms: Twitter, Facebook,
YouTube or corporate blogs
– Dell sold $9 million via Twitter in 2009 http://bit.ly/6mo9T7
– Twitter Is the social media platform of choice for Fortune Global 500
– The tie between Twitter and mobile is strong, as 63% of Twitter users access
social networks via mobile phone, compared to 34% of social networkers as a
– 73% of Twitter users send SMS text messages multiple times per day
– 42% learn about products and services via Twitter.
– 41% provide opinions about products/services.
– 19% seek customer support
Why Use It?
Meeting new people
Steady stream of ideas,
content, resources, tips
Product / service feedback
Contests, polls, coupons
Product / service reviews
• Extend the reach of your blog,
website, Facebook fan page,
• Competitive intelligence
• Find vendors, partners, tech
Setting up your account – personal or business
Your Twitter profile – interests, your URL (blog, website)
Conventions - Follow, DM, Replies@
#hash tags = categories, trends, events
Etiquette - Thanking people for RT’s, following
Links/URL Shorteners: bit.ly, ow.ly, goo.gl
Search – names, companies, products, services
– Alternative search engines www.twazzup.com
• Lists – finding lists www.tweepml.org
• Alternative Twitter client apps - web-based and mobile apps
• Following / Gaining Followers
– Twellow – Find Twitterers with similar interests to you, by
searching through a yellow-pages interface.
– NearbyTweets – Enter a zipcode or city, and a distance,
and you’ll find Twitterers and tweets from nearest where
– TweepleRank – Finds the best people on Twitter to follow,
based on #followfriday, #MrTweet, and #TweepleTuesday
– JustTweetIt - Find other Twitter users just like you
– Twitterholic - Who has the most followers (in a given geoarea)
– Tweeple – Find lists and people to follow
– TwitterAnalyzer – Google Analytics for Twitter. See who
retweets you, how many people are seeing your messages, and
how fast your Twitter follower numbers are growing
– TweetStats – Graphs of your tweets per hour, tweets per
month, who you’re tweeting, and what programs you’re using
to send your tweets.
– Tweetvisor – multiple analytics (uses Twitter API for
– Twiter.Grader.com – grades your usefulness (influence) on
– TwitReach - How much reach do your Tweets have?
– TwtPoll – Create and distribute a simple poll over Twitter, which
your tweeps can answer right from their Twitter accounts.
– CoTweet - CoTweet lets your company manage
one Twitter account while allowing several
employees to contribute.
– Tweetbeep - Just like Google Alerts, Tweetbeep
tracks Twitter conversations that mention you,
your business or your products and services.
– Twilert – like Google Alerts
– BackTweets – search for links on Twitter
– TwitPic - Share your favorite pictures on Twitter.
– Twitvid – Share videos
– Listento.fm – Share videos, songs, or movies with
easy links to tweet what you’re listening to or
Basic Twitter for Beginners
Essential Twitter Apps (desktop, mobile, search, business, media sharing, URL shorteners)
Twitter Tips and Tactics – Best of 2009
80 Ways To Use Twitter for Small Biz (added 01/21/10)
How To Use Twitter Lists (added 11/5/09)
8 Reasons You Need to Stop Ignoring Twitter
– http://bit.ly/2tk7gR (added 11/17/09)
How Twitter is Revolutionizing Business (added 11/24/09)
10 Tips for Getting Your CEO on Twitter (added 11/30/09)
The Six Types of Twitter Users (chart added 12/15/09)
30 Predictions of the Future of Twitter (added 3/8/10)
5 Free Twitter Tools for Small Business Marketers (added 5/4/10)