Your SlideShare is downloading. ×
0
×
Saving this for later? Get the SlideShare app to save on your phone or tablet. Read anywhere, anytime – even offline.
Text the download link to your phone
Standard text messaging rates apply

Incremental innovation-ivs-sapporo-may-2013-130523002944-phpapp01

60

Published on

Published in: Technology, Business
0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total Views
60
On Slideshare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
0
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
2
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

Report content
Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
No notes for slide

Transcript

  • 1. Incremental Innovation. “Make Stuff Suck Less.” Dave McClure 500 Startups slideshare.net/dmc500hats
  • 2. #TONYSTARK #DOESNTSUCK http://marvel.com/ironman3
  • 3. Most Things Suck. • But, It’s Easy 2 Make Them Better. – Especially Because of Technology. – And Because of Tony Stark. – They Make it Easy To Copy & Improve their Innovations • TIP: DO NOT TRY TO BE TONY STARK. • JUST COPY / USE THEIR STUFF. (and Make It Slightly Better) • 99% of the time -- Copy/Use Other People’s Amazing Stuff. • 1% of the time -- Come Up With Your Own Innovative Stuff. • Improve the Innovation by 1% Every Month.
  • 4. Over Time, Things Sucks Less. • Fire • The Wheel • Farming • Pigs, Cows, Chickens • Iron, Steel • Ships • Printing Press • Textiles • Steam Engine • Electricity • Cars, Airplanes • Telephone • Radio, TV • Cable • The Internet • Social Networks • FB, Twitter, YouTube • Mobile Phones
  • 5. Why No Flying Cars Yet? (Teleportation? Sexy Robots?) • Because That Stuff is Really Hard. • Not So Many Tony Starks / Elon Musks Around. • You Ain’t All That Smart. • Or That Rich. • But, You Might Get To Use Their Stuff.
  • 6. We Are Mental Midgets Who Stand on Shoulders of Giant Geeks • Da Vinci • Sir Isaac Newton • James Watt • Nicola Tesla • Marie Curie • Gates • Jobs • Bezos • Larry & Sergei • Zuck
  • 7. #INCREMENTALINNOVATION #ITERATIONFTW How 2 Boil a Frog
  • 8. You Don’t Have to be Tony Stark • Just Copy/Use the Stuff that Tony Stark Makes. – Tip: Since Most People Suck, They Won’t Notice U Aren’t Tony Stark. • Copy/Use 99% All The Amazing Stuff Out There. • Innovate on the other 1%. • Innovate 1% More Every Month. • Then Kick Back and Have a Beer.
  • 9. Most Businesses Suck @ Innovation. • They Don’t Know Technology. • They Don’t Know How to Code. • They Don’t Know SEO or SEM. • They Don’t Know Email Marketing. • They Don’t Know Social, Video, Local, Mobile. • They Don’t Know Good Design or UX. • They Don’t Know How to Cut & Paste. • They Don’t Know How to Use PayPal.
  • 10. Most Things Are Not Amazing. • But, We Can Easily Make Most Things Better. • Tech + Web = Reduced Overhead Costs. • Search + Social Platforms = Better Marketing. • Copy Existing Business Model = Reduced Risk. • FOCUS = Make ONEthing / SOMEthing Better.
  • 11. #EVILPLAN #MWAHAHA Everyone Needs An Evil Plan (Hugh MacLeod)
  • 12. Formula 4 Awesome: Notice Things That Suck. Make Them Suck Less. • Most Brick & Mortar Businesses Are Inefficient. • Lots of Overhead, Shitty UX, Crappy Marketing. • Copy Their Business Model (It Already Works). • Reduce Overhead Cost (Go Online). • Increase Marketing Efficiency (Go Online). • Copy/Integrate 99% Awesome Stuff (aka Tech) • Innovate on the Remaining 1%. • Keep Innovating 1%. Every Month. • Beat Them Like a Drum, Every Day & 2x on Sunday.
  • 13. Ok, Let’s Try It. • Find an existing, physical-world big dumb business that makes money, but kinda sucks. • Verify they have high overhead costs, inefficient [offline] marketing, crappy service. • Copy the business model, reduce overhead costs, improve marketing. • Add some awesome technology, and then innovate on ONE important thing.
  • 14. Problem: Ordering Food Sucks. (see blog post “Why Menus Suck”) • Issues: – Waiters – Menus – Pictures – Sharing – Discounts – Customer Lists – Food Quality – Food Service – Reviews – Delivery Time – Payment • Solutions: – ElaCarte – KitchIt – FoodA – Chewse – CraftCoffee – LoveWithFood – GoldBely – TeaLet – Ordr.in – MileHighOrganics – WholeShare
  • 15. #BRANDING101 #THINKDIFFERENT Here’s To The Crazy Ones. (Jobs)
  • 16. 3 Basic Types of Brands: Virgin, Southwest, [Niche] • Virgin = “Mass Luxury” (+ sexy) – High-End Look & Feel, priced just barely within reach of most middle-class customers, who love the “red-carpet” treatment  • Southwest = “Convenience & Value” (+ funny) – Shit that just works, not very expensive, great value for everybody. (Who doesn’t like Southwest?) • [Niche] = “Just for You & Me” – Designed for well-defined customer segments / attributes. – Less competition, higher margins, better retention – Ex: Gay, Old, Black, Short, Female, Moms, Left-Handed, Etc
  • 17. Thanks. http://500.co
  • 18. Dave McClure Founding Partner & Chief Troublemaker, 500 Startups 00’s & 10’s: • VC: Founders Fund, Facebook fbFund, 500 Startups • Angel: Mashery, Mint.com, SlideShare, Twilio, WildFire, SendGrid • Marketing: PayPal, Simply Hired, Mint.com, oDesk, O’Reilly 80’s & 90’s: • Entrepreneur: Aslan Computing (acq’d by Servinet/Panurgy) • Developer: Windows / SQL DB consultant (Intel, MSFT) • Engineer: Johns Hopkins‘88, BS Eng / Applied Math
  • 19. 500 Startups Global Seed Fund & Startup Accelerator • What is 500? – $65M+ under management – 25 people / 12 investing partners – Locations: SV, NYC, MEX, BRZ, IND, CHN, SEasia – 1000+ Founders / 200+ Mentors – Insanity 24x7x365 • 500+ Portfolio Co’s / 30+ Countries – Wildfire (acq GOOG, $350M) – Twilio – SendGrid – TaskRabbit – MakerBot – 9GAG – Viki – Gengo – AppStack – VivaReal – MindSnacks – Visual.ly
  • 20. 500 Startups: Global Seed Fund Over 100+ startups outside US, in 35+ countries • Q4/12 added: Germany, Korea, Peru; + Russia, Israel, Turkey in Q1/13 • Priorities in 2012: Brazil, Mexico, India • Priorities In 2013: China, SE Asia, MENA, Eastern Europe

×